Tonys' 1971 Prowler

Show us your project. In progress or finished!

Moderator: Ken

Tonys' 1971 Prowler

Postby wunderbrah » 06 Tue Jan, 2009 9:59 am

Hi, this is my 1971 Prowler buggy. I have always wanted a buggy and eventually after a protracted emotional blackmail campaign against my beloved, long suffering wife (CanIhaveabuggy?, CanIhaveabuggy?, CanIhaveabuggy?, CanIhaveabuggy?, etc) I bought the car of my dreams. I bought the buggy last year from a fella called Mullet who built on the chassis of his Beetle Missy who was suffering from chronic rust. The chassis was shortened at Flatlands and the body bought from East Coast Manx. It has a 1641 engine fully blinged with twin 40 Kadron carbs. The fuel pipes are braided steel, with a rotary fuel pump, I have also fitted 8mm HT leads, Pertronix distributor and electronic ignition with a flame thrower coil. To round it off it has an EMPI rip off of a Bobcat exhaust which is good for scaring horses, small children, and setting off car alarms in multi-story car parks, I want to change this for a Trilmill system when I've got some more pennies. It sits on Wolfrace Katanas, 17's on the back and 15's on the front, it also has an adjustable front beam. My buggy is booked in with Whiffs Trimming after Xmas and it's going to be fitted with a shortened, low mohair roof (like a Lotus Elise) and a panel is going to be put over the seating space in the back. I say seating space, they only people who would fit in there would be midgets, dwarves, or Ewoks and I don't know many of them. Just bought some 18in wheels for the rear, thinking of moving the 17's to the front and having slightly taller tires on the back. Will post new pics, when the hood's done.
Last edited by wunderbrah on 06 Tue Jan, 2009 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fortune favours the bold...
wunderbrah
Buggy Builder

Postby Aquabuggy » 06 Tue Jan, 2009 4:58 pm

Looks Great!
That windshield is sweet, any idea where it came from or where I can get one?
My name is Chris and well I'm a buggy-aholic

04 Aqua buggy - sold
72 Orange buggy - sold
72 Green longbody - aka Shrek http://texasmanxclub.com/bboard/viewtopic.php?t=1082
68 Manx - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2509
Aquabuggy
Buggyholic

Windscreen

Postby wunderbrah » 06 Tue Jan, 2009 6:25 pm

Thanks mate, the windscreen is from a Renault Daulphine (don't think that is spelt right). Mine came with the Prowler kit, most people don't go for this style as it makes it awkward to get a hood fitted, check out www.eastcoastbuggies.co.uk
Not sure if he'll ship to the US but it's worth emailing him, it might take a while for him to reply as I don't think that making buggies is his main occupation. Apparently they're the same windscreens from the Bounty Hunter buggies...
wunderbrah
Buggy Builder

Postby Bill K » 06 Tue Jan, 2009 8:31 pm

Very nice ride 8-)
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby ckolek » 06 Tue Jan, 2009 8:51 pm

very nice car, love the style and the windshield is too cool.
ckolek
Buggyholic

Postby freon » 02 Mon Feb, 2009 9:37 pm

sweeet ride!
freon

Postby wunderbrah » 16 Wed Dec, 2009 6:35 am

Thanks for the nice comments guys, thought I'd post a few more photos. I've done quite a lot this year including replacing the exhaust system, replacing the body mounts, adding various bits and pieces to make it shinier and also safer to drive. I planning on replacing my wheels with some centerline wheels from the US, the import tax is a killer so I hope to buy them them when I'm over next and get them shipped on a military transport aircraft, hopefully my plan will work! I hope everybody has a great Christmas, it's started to snow here which is very unusual in my part of the U.K. take it easy :)
wunderbrah
Buggy Builder

Postby jspbtown » 16 Wed Dec, 2009 9:26 am

Yup...the windshield is from a Renault Dauphine. They are about $500 here in the states. They are available. The other issue is the windshield supports. They are impossible to find.

This set up also fits the Autodynamics Deserter. I have one wrapped up waiting for its turn for restoration. I have the supports, but no windshield yet. Waiting to find a "deal" since I don't need it yet.

jspbtown
Buggyholic

Postby wunderbrah » 16 Wed Dec, 2009 10:11 am

I'm planning on getting my posts CNC machined in stainless steel as at the moment they're cast alloy, I'll send you a copy of the machine template when it's done so you can get them knocked up in the US...
wunderbrah
Buggy Builder

Re: Tonys' 1971 Prowler

Postby wunderbrah » 30 Mon May, 2011 4:44 pm

Hi, thought I'd post he latest and probably the most substantial change I've made recently. New rims :D
wunderbrah
Buggy Builder

Re: Tonys' 1971 Prowler

Postby CoryN » 30 Mon May, 2011 5:15 pm

Very very nice
CoryN
Buggyholic

Return to Member's Projects