VW Harvest

Discuss or propose a club event.

Moderator: Bill K

VW Harvest

Postby Ken » 11 Fri Sep, 2015 9:03 am

Anyone ever been to this? I think it was not held last year, but a couple year prior it was.
Anyone thinking of going this year?

To be honest, I'm not certain dune buggys are invited. Maybe I'll send an email and clarify.

VW Harvest

Two day event in Northwest Austin (Leander)

Saturday Oct. 17th
Get ready to cruise! In the early evening we will host a cruise through the scenic hill country ending at the iconic Top Notch Hamburgers. The cruise will meet at Southwest Williamson County Regional Park at 5:30 pm on Saturday. Park is located at 3005 Co Rd 175 Leander, TX.

Sunday Oct. 18th
The BIG EVENT will start at 9:00 am at Southwest Williamson County Regional Park, located at 3005 Co Rd 175 Leander, TX. For awards we will be having Top-10, Under-Construction, Special Interest, as well as a kids class. Not to mention a raffle table, bounce house, and a Twinkie eating contest for the kids sponsored by our friends in the Bay Area Volkswagen Club. Gates open at 9:00 am, Twinkie eating contest at 11:00am Judging Ballets to be in by noon. Awards and Raffle ceremony will start around 2:30 pm.
Ken
Site Admin

Re: VW Harvest

Postby BrianB » 11 Fri Sep, 2015 10:29 am

All VW's
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 11 Fri Sep, 2015 10:40 am

response from www.VWHarvest.com wrote:We would love to see you guys out..

This is a Free Show and Swap.. we really have a different show so to speak from others as the show is a complete PEOPLE CHOICE show.. which means the people pick basically the top 13 cars.. that allows for a 1-3 place and a TOP 10. I know they're pro's and con's to having a "ClassLess" show but it is a nice to know you were recognized in the sea of 300 or more cars... We also have a great Cruise Saturday - and the Drive in at TOP NOTCH hamburger that is always a HIT the Main show is Sunday.. with Free Swap and Show the Swap is always pretty STRONG -which I like the most :)

We also are always looking for Show support with donations or contacts to those who can lend a hand in assisting the show. it is an extremely laid back show.. but a MONSTER SHOW at the same time.

Please share with whomever you wish.. and we certainly would love to have you!!
Ken
Site Admin

Postby staggerwing » 11 Fri Sep, 2015 11:02 am

I see a Towd in one of the pictures? Do they specifically state no buggys? Just curious.
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 11 Fri Sep, 2015 1:11 pm

Based on their response I posted above, "they would love to have us".
Not 100% committed yet, but Dave and I are thinking we'd like to go to the Sunday show and swap meet.

staggerwing wrote:I see a Towd in one of the pictures? Do they specifically state no buggys? Just curious.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby johber41 » 11 Fri Sep, 2015 9:43 pm

The guys at the BAVWC say that is a real good show......lots of cars! I am sure mostly beetles and vans, but maybe buggies!
johber41
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 05 Mon Oct, 2015 9:49 am

It seems like some of us planning to go to this show.
We are going to cruise from my house to this show on Sunday morning in the buggy's.
It's about 60 miles. The gates open at 9am, so maybe an 8am depart? Probably can't wait any later.
Let me know if anyone wants to join us. Can trailer to my house or maybe meet on the route.

There is a registration, so don't forget that.
If someone has other suggestions, post up and let's hear them.

So who might be in for a cruise from my place to the VW Harvest in Leander on Sunday Oct 18th?
Here's the route I'm thinking we'd take.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby staggerwing » 06 Tue Oct, 2015 8:23 pm

Sandy and I are going but are planning on Sunday only, and we'll be leaving the buggy at home (again) in case something too large to fit in the buggy needs to be brought back with us. See you there!
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby staggerwing » 17 Sat Oct, 2015 6:16 pm

Looks like we are going to bail on this one. Last minute decision. Next year for sure!
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 17 Sat Oct, 2015 8:08 pm

staggerwing wrote:Looks like we are going to bail on this one. Last minute decision. Next year for sure!

Sorry to hear that Richard, we were really looking forward to hanging out with Sandy. :(

I spent the day rubbing and buffing the Manx. Man having a nice body is a lot of work.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby GregR » 20 Tue Oct, 2015 5:47 am

Ken,How did the show turn out? Any Top 10's ? Sure was a beautiful day for a show!
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Ken » 20 Tue Oct, 2015 9:48 am

Nope, no buggy's in the top 10.
That was a tough conversation with my detailer when I got home.
You can see he was not very pleased and he had plenty of comments that I just can't repeat.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » 20 Tue Oct, 2015 10:02 am

It was a nice show. Probably about 150 entries. I counted 8 buggy's, may have missed one or two.
Great to see Greg and Bruce. Here are the few pictures I took. Sorry I didn't take more.

Bruce PROUDLY displaying his TMC chicken award.

My two already for the 60+ mile cruise to Leander.

Our friends (and Angela) who joined us for the day.

Dave checking he still has a license plate mounted.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Bobsbuggy » 21 Wed Oct, 2015 11:16 am

It sure looks like I missed a wonderful event.
Ken, how come you have a different person cleaning your buggy in every picture? If you treated your hired help better, you could keep them longer......... Maybe you should pay them better. That last employee looks like he would work from candy..... or maybe Blue Bell Ice Cream.
Bobsbuggy
Buggy Nut

Postby Ken » 23 Fri Oct, 2015 8:23 am

Bobsbuggy wrote:It sure looks like I missed a wonderful event.

Probably you didn't... not bashing this event, because for us the show was just an excuse to cruise.
Maybe next year they will be more organized. There was a very impressive turn out... I'd guess 150 car's, but with only 8 buggy's it would have been nice if we could have parked together. Granted we got there a little late, but still in the registration window. But we had to park somewhat off the "show" area and cars were still showing up. I saw registered cars scattered within spectator parking, past where we parked.

Swap meet was also scattered within the show cars. I kind of liked that, it made walking around more interesting, but if you don't have room for the show cars, maybe there could have been a better strategy???

Not trying to be critical... just saying. I'd go back, but again because it gives me a great reason to drive the buggy.

Bobsbuggy wrote:Ken, how come you have a different person cleaning your buggy in every picture?

You may be on to something Bob. I may need to re evaluate my benefits package, or something.
I've gone through some super help over just the last few months!
It is really hard to keep the best people.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Bill K » 24 Sat Oct, 2015 1:09 pm

You may be on to something Bob. I may need to re evaluate my benefits package, or something.
I've gone through some super help over just the last few months!
It is really hard to keep the best people.

I left for better pay. :D :D
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 25 Sun Oct, 2015 8:07 am

Pay? I'm very confused.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby ScottR » 05 Thu Nov, 2015 4:59 pm

I did it with a smile...but not real serious. I was just in line for the opportunity to touch, in a way, the "Great Green Manx". It was a privilege.
ScottR
Buggy Nut

Return to Events, Cruises, & Future Trips