Bastrop Christmas Parade

Discuss or propose a club event.

Moderator: Bill K

Bastrop Christmas Parade

Postby yoboy » 05 Tue Oct, 2010 7:38 pm

According to the Marshall Tx website, their parade has been scheduled for a Tuesday night this year - so we started looking for a Christmas parade on a weekend date. We located the Bastrop Christmas parade which will be Saturday, 12/11/10 starting at 6:00 pm, with on-site registration beginning at 4:00 pm behind the Bastrop High School at Gordon and Chambers Streets. We contacted the Chamber and they sent us the registration form (no fees required for entry). Participants ARE NOT allowed to throw candy, etc. The only requirement is participants have to fill out a registration form and the vehicles must have christmas lights.

According to the website www.lostpineschristmasbastroptx.com website there appears to be a lot of activities all weekend, plenty of shopping, etc.

Any interest?
yoboy
Buggyholic

Re: Bastrop Christmas Parade

Postby Bryan Porter » 06 Wed Oct, 2010 8:35 am

Sign Anne and me up give me a call about camping.
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 06 Wed Oct, 2010 10:50 am

We would sure try and make this work. I put it on our calendar, but gotta see how the kids schedule looks when it gets closer.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Bill K » 06 Wed Oct, 2010 6:46 pm

Linda and I are interested.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby yoboy » 10 Sun Oct, 2010 5:12 pm

We will be camping at Bastrop State Park for the weekend along with Bryan, Anne, Russell and Christie.

Hope more folks can join us!

There are also quite a few hotel options in Bastrop.
yoboy
Buggyholic

Postby blackthree4me » 11 Mon Oct, 2010 12:08 pm

HMMMMMMMMM let me see what we can put toghter sounds like fun
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 29 Fri Oct, 2010 10:05 am

Here's a link to download the "Bastrop Christmas Parade Form". Just fill it out and bring it to the on-site registration beginning at 4:00 pm behind the Bastrop High School at Gordon and Chambers Streets.

So Bill, Steve, where will you guys be staying this weekend? We are thinking we will just drive over, it only an hour or so, but we may go a head and book something as a backup, in case weather turns cool and we want to just be there.

Anybody else looking at joining this Christmas Parade ride?

So what's the "place to eat" in Bastrop?

Ken
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Bill K » 29 Fri Oct, 2010 11:29 pm

I haven't booked anything yet, but will do some searching soon. Has anyone else found a good place?
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 02 Tue Nov, 2010 9:45 am

I booked rooms at the Days Inn in Bastrop for Saturday night.

Never stayed here, but the satellite image shows a big parking lot and it is not far from the state park entrance. Room rates are very reasonable.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Bill K » 12 Fri Nov, 2010 11:05 pm

Unfortunately, it appears some unforseen family obligations are going to keep us from coming :( . If anything changes, I post it up, but we are sure going to miss getting to visit with some great friends.

We are wishing you clear skies and 70 degree temperatures, or perhaps for you gluttons for punishment, it should be clear skies and temperatures in the 30's. :D :D
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 01 Wed Dec, 2010 9:41 am

Wimberley football team is playing in the quarter finals this Friday (3rd) and if they win, it could affect our being able to make the Bastrop parade. Our daughter is in the band and they are expected at all games.

There are too many variable to say how it will play out. But if they win this weekend, they will play the Bastrop Parade weekend, but it could be on Thursday, Friday or Saturday night. Won't know until after this coming weekend. The place of the next game is also pending this weekends results.

The Wimberley Texans are undefeated (13-0) and will face district rival Geronimo Navarro (11-2). During regular season, Navarro lost to the Texans 42-28. It has been a great deal of fun watching and supporting the Texans. There are many more kids involved then just the football players.

Ken
Ken
Site Admin

Postby yoboy » 01 Wed Dec, 2010 9:11 pm

For those of you who may be coming to Bastrop for the parade here's some weekend schedule info.

For Saturday we plan on having Breakfast at our campsites at the State Park at about 9:00 AM (Pecan pancakes and bacon to be served). If anyone can make this please RSVP. We can make arrangements to get you to our location in the park. After breakfast we plan on going into Bastrop for the shopping on the main streets and the farmer's market, etc. or just hanging out visting about buggies, etc.

At 2:00 PM we will meet at the Roadhouse located at 2804 Hwy 21 E (across from the state park entrance) for lunch. The Roadhouse website is http://www.roadhousebastrop.com

From there we will proceed into Bastrop to go to the parade line up and do final decorations on the buggies. The location in town for the parade line up is behind the Bastrop High School at Gordon and Chambers street. We will have the registration forms. There is no charge for the parade but the buggies must have christmas lights! The instructions also mentioned no candy or toys may be thrown from the cars or parade floats. This is for safety reasons.

After the parade we will be heading back to the state park for a campfire, hot dogs, drinks, etc. Bring the drinks of your choice.

If you need additional information, etc. give me a call 214-577-6795.

Thanks.

Billy
yoboy
Buggyholic

Postby Texasbuggys » 02 Thu Dec, 2010 8:11 am

Sorry to drop in but congradulations to the Wimberly High School! And your so right, without the band the football teams would be beating to a differnt drum! LOL I can relate, on our third kiddo in band! Your daughter is a sweetheart! Good luck this Friday! Sorry can't make the parade Billy, have our in town Christams parade and two parties that same night. One is hot rod group so that one should by exciting!
Get your new short or long body, custom chassis, show cages, bumpers and accessories at http://www.texasbuggys.com

E-Mail Texasbuggys@suddenlink.net or call 361-218-6272
Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 02 Thu Dec, 2010 9:19 am

Reading the Bastrop schedule, makes the pain of having to miss this one even worse :( . What a fun time you have planned and the weather looks like it is going to be very cooperative.
So, it looks like another "Memory Maker" in the works. We wish everyone a really fantastic time.
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 05 Sun Dec, 2010 10:14 am

Thanks Bobby. Wimberley beat Geronimo Navarro (40-14), so we will move to the state semifinals. So we will not make breakfast Saturday morning, but we are planning to get over to Bastrop for the lunch gathering at the Roadhouse at 2pm.

Wimberley will meet the Coldsprings Trojan's in Waco on Friday at 7:30pm. The winner of this game will play for the 3A DivII state championship in the Cowboy stadium on December 17th at 4pm. Here is a nice writeup on this weeks game. Wimberley reaches Class 3A state semifinals
Ken
Site Admin

Postby yoboy » 05 Sun Dec, 2010 1:46 pm

Glad to hear Wimberley is advancing in the state playoffs. Also glad to hear the Phillips family will be joining the gang at the Roadhouse/Bastrop parade.

We will be pulling for the team to win this week allowing the kids to make the trip to Jerry's palace the following week.

So far the weather looks great for next weekend :D
yoboy
Buggyholic

Postby yoboy » 09 Thu Dec, 2010 6:31 pm

We are here, where are you?

Yall come. Weather is looking good for Saturday.
yoboy
Buggyholic

Postby Texasbuggys » 09 Thu Dec, 2010 8:35 pm

No that looks like a blast!
Get your new short or long body, custom chassis, show cages, bumpers and accessories at http://www.texasbuggys.com

Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 11 Sat Dec, 2010 5:39 am

You all have fun. Looks like it will be summer weather for parade :mrgreen:
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby staggerwing » 12 Sun Dec, 2010 10:08 am

Oh that sure looks like fun. Sandy just told me that next year we're going to make it fer sure. Man I hope so, we've missed too many events in 2010! I guess it helps to be able to take a house with you - with sorage in th back for your buggy! What a sweet rig...
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 12 Sun Dec, 2010 7:30 pm

Delia, me and my youngest, Angela made it over Saturday about noon. We had the honor to spend Saturday afternoon, evening and slid right into Sunday morning, for some pecan pancakes and bacon.

We stayed Saturday night at the Days Inn, just a mile south of the Bastrop State park entrance. Not the Meyers by any account. Delia heard noises all night, so I didn't sleep much.

We arrived just in time for an awesome short cruise through Bastrop State Park on Park Rd1. I say short cruise, but it had the feel of a much longer drive, with plenty of narrow road curves, grade changes and nice scenic views. It could have been little quicker, but we all drive buggy's and we all know sometimes, well, things fall off, and that happened. Jack's gas cap, popped off. It was found and we finished the route, with someone not even getting out of their purple glass buggy to help look.

Lunch at the Road House grill for some pretty good burgers.
Parade was great fun, but I was seriously under prepared and under lite, for these nut cases and their creativity. They know who they are.
Camp fire and hot dogs after the parade and pecan pancake Sunday breakfast.
I think I only got my steering wheel stolen twice the whole weekend, but there was a last attempt as we were trailering away.

Here are the few picture we took.
http://picasaweb.google.com/KDAAPhillips/BastropDecember2010#slideshow/5550192653912945490
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Texasbuggys » 12 Sun Dec, 2010 7:51 pm

Looks like you all had a great time. Love the key Ken!

Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 13 Mon Dec, 2010 12:03 am

OK: Let's have some pictures. :D :D
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Aquabuggy » 13 Mon Dec, 2010 4:59 pm

Looks like y'all had a great time, wish we could have been there..
My name is Chris and well I'm a buggy-aholic

04 Aqua buggy - sold
72 Orange buggy - sold
72 Green longbody - aka Shrek http://texasmanxclub.com/bboard/viewtopic.php?t=1082
68 Manx - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2509
Aquabuggy
Buggyholic

Postby yoboy » 13 Mon Dec, 2010 8:57 pm

Here's a link to our pictures:

http://s499.photobucket.com/albums/rr35 ... =slideshow

Does anyone want to volunteer to make our reservations for next year? Bryan did do a great job of smoozing the State Park Police Officer that stopped by to visit. Not sure he cared for dune buggies. Ken also mentioned the front office knew the Blair group when he mentioned needing directions.

Ken did a great job of giving a report for the weekend activities. Hope all of you enjoyed the weekend as much as we did!

Merry Christmas!
yoboy
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 13 Mon Dec, 2010 10:26 pm

Looks like you guys had a great time!.

Billy, good thing you were watching while Bryan was under your buggy...you may have come home with teh Doom Buggy award :mrgreen:
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby staggerwing » 14 Tue Dec, 2010 9:50 am

Alright, that photo of the pancake was PAINFUL! I love pancakes!! I hereby "promise" to make as many events as humanly possible in 2011.
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 14 Tue Dec, 2010 11:38 pm

Ken, how much horsepower did that crank on the back of your car add? :lol: :lol:
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Russhebert » 16 Thu Dec, 2010 6:26 pm

Here is a link to a short video of the Bastrop Parade

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A ... ml&h=43aee
Russhebert
Buggy Nut

Postby Ken » 17 Fri Dec, 2010 8:56 am

I heard this from someone that was involved in the parade from another site. I email the contact on the entry form and will let you know if they confirm.

"Best 4 wheel vehicles" category
    1st place Bryan Porter, Texas Manx Club
    Hon. Mention, Billy & Gloria Blain, Texas Manx Club
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » 21 Tue Dec, 2010 8:46 pm

OK, here is the "OFFICIAL" reply from the Bastrop Parade organizers.
Congratulations Billy and Gloria, and Bryan and Anne, for taking the new category.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
The judges for the parade were Delma Howlett, owner of Alize Salon, Laurie Ingram, incoming county treasurer, Mike Gibbons, paramedic and Shirley Gibbons, office manager Bastrop Advertiser. The judges were blown away this year by the elaborate and outstanding entries. They said it was very difficult so they had a few honorable mentions in the categories and also added a category. Normally we just give first place in 7 categories.

#1) Overall Best Theme Entry - the theme is "Christmas around the World"
1st - Bastrop School of Montessori
Honorable Mention - Lost Pines Elementary PALs

#2) Most Beautiful Lighted Float (theme is not considered)
1st - Flatonia Chamber of Commerce
Honorable Mention - Smithville Jamboree Queen

#3) Best Lighted Pedestrian Group - all marching or walking groups are eligible
1st - D'Ette Co. & Dancers
Honorable Mention - Bastrop High School Bear Band

#4) Most Festive Group Riders - all riding/horse groups are eligible
1st - Hyatt Lost Pines Resort

#5) Best Emergency Vehicle Decoration - all vehicles for law enforcement, fire depts., EMS, etc. are eligible
1st - Bastrop Police Explorers Post 850

#5) Best Cyclist Decoration - all cycles with 1 to 3 wheels, either motorized or manual
1st - Horace Russell and his old fashioned Texas sized tricycle

#7) Best "Reason for the Season" - religious themed entries
1st - River Valley Christian Fellowship, Bastrop

added this category for this year:
#8) Best 4 wheel vehicles
1st - Bryan Porter, Texas Manx Club (buggies)
Honorable Mention - Billy & Gloria Blair, Texas Manx Dune Buggy
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Texasbuggys » 21 Tue Dec, 2010 9:06 pm

Awesome, way to go troops!

Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Return to Events, Cruises, & Future Trips