Gruene Run

Discuss or propose a club event.

Moderator: Bill K

Gruene Run

Postby Bill K » 03 Sun Oct, 2010 11:39 pm

If we could snag a good-weather weekend, would would anyone be interested in making a run to Gruene? I'm thinking we'd meet at Tony's in Sealy for breakfast and then take Old 90A up to Seguin and then 46 to Gruene. It'd be about a 135 mile run from Sealy. We could spend the night in Gruene and after breakfast Sunday, make the run home.

The earliest I could do it is the weekend of the 16th and this will most likely be a stag run for me, but that's not to say wives, sons, or daughers couldn't come. We could also do a little scouting for Bobby, but better yet, maybe he and some of the Victoria Boys could make a run from Victoria join us as well as anyone else that want's to meet up with us for some Buggy Fellowship.

Nothing definite, just testing the waters to see if there's any interest.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Re: Gruene Run

Postby Texasbuggys » 04 Mon Oct, 2010 6:59 am

16th would not work for me but the next weekend sure might.
Get your new short or long body, custom chassis, show cages, bumpers and accessories at http://www.texasbuggys.com

E-Mail Texasbuggys@suddenlink.net or call 361-218-6272
Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby Joe » 04 Mon Oct, 2010 11:31 am

The 16th or the 23th oct is ok wihe me.
Joe
Joe
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 05 Tue Oct, 2010 5:19 pm

Well judging by the lack of response, I suppose maybe my plans were a bit too ambitious.

Of course I'm open to any other suggestions anyone may have.
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 06 Wed Oct, 2010 10:45 am

Hey Bill, don't give up so quickly here...

I was watching this post, hoping it would turn into something we could get included in. We couldn't meet you in Sealy and drive up with you, but depending on the weekend I was hoping we could hookup in and around Greune. ;-)

Looks like Bobby and Joe were leaning to the 23rd? You know how it is with this group, set a weekend and they will come...

Gruene has some great looking B&Bs (We've no personal experience with any) and there are also several good ole motel/hotels just a couple miles (literally) down the road off of IH35.

Are you thinking Saturday morning drive up? Find some lunch around Gruene maybe? Cruise river road, New Braunfels and surrounding areas maybe find some dinner? Probably leave for home Sunday morning after breakfast?
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Texasbuggys » 06 Wed Oct, 2010 12:01 pm

I am liking where your going with this Ken!! I will talk to some other folks at the parade Saturday and see if we can get some more bites!
Get your new short or long body, custom chassis, show cages, bumpers and accessories at http://www.texasbuggys.com

Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 06 Wed Oct, 2010 2:49 pm

Yes Ken, that is exactly what I had in mind. I also though we would get there in time to get in a cruise up River Road to Canyon Lake. It's been many years since I've been up River Road and I would love to drive it in the buggy just for "Old Times Sake".

We might get lucky and catch some good live music at Gruene Hall Saturday night. I'm like you, there appear to be some reasonably priced accomodations in Gruene or nearby, but I don't have any firshand experience. There are also some expensive ones, but someone else can stay there. :D

After breakfast Sunday, we would take a leisurly cruise back home.
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Texasbuggys » 06 Wed Oct, 2010 8:06 pm

I am liking this plan!

Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 06 Wed Oct, 2010 9:21 pm

Here is what the Greune Hall Calendar says:

Saturday, October the 16th:
White Ghost Shivers - 1pm to 5pm - No Cover - Listed as 20's-30's Vaudville
Chris Knight - 9pm to ? - $12 cover - Listed as Americana
Sat and Sun - Gruene Market Days [click here for more info]

Saturday, October the 23rd:
Eric Hanke Band - 1pm to 5pm - No Cover - Listed as Americana
Bleu Edmondson - 9pm to ? - $10 cover - Listed as Texas
Sat and Sun - 18th Annual Texas Clay Festival [click here for more info]

Built in 1878, Gruene Hall is the oldest continually running dance hall in Texas, and the Central Texas
birthplace to many great songwriters and musicians. Including George Strait & Ace in the Hole,
Lyle Lovett, Joe Ely, Robert Earl Keen, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, Hal
Ketchum, Bruce and Charlie Robison
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Joe » 07 Thu Oct, 2010 10:28 pm

Where is Tony's in sealy?
what weekin is the best for all of you?
Joe
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 08 Fri Oct, 2010 8:27 am

Joe, I ran this up the flag pole as just an idea, but so far no one from the area has saluted . So, I suppose it wasn't such a great idea.

The weekend of the 16th is now out for me also. So, I suppose it would be the weekend of the 23th.

Let me try another version: Would anyone be interested in meeting at Tony's on a Saturday morning and doing a day cruise in the Cat Spring, New Ulm, Fayettville area? There are some pretty nice roads out that way. I could check to see if Sterling McCall's car museum in Warrenton would be open, and if anyone hasn't been there, it would be a real nice place to visit. It's amazing that such a fantastic car museum exists out there in the middle of nowhere.
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Joe » 08 Fri Oct, 2010 12:15 pm

Bill just let me know whrer and whin it is. if is just us that s ok .
Joe
Buggyholic

Postby David Head » 09 Sat Oct, 2010 9:25 am

Im watching this post, I need a buggy ride
Maroon Manx

(o\_!_/o)
David Head
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 09 Sat Oct, 2010 10:51 am

David Head wrote:Im watching this post, I need a buggy ride

Where have you been??? :mrgreen:
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby TobyG » 09 Sat Oct, 2010 10:25 pm

Wow, sounds like a lot of fun but unfortunately we are busy both weekends you are looking at going. Keep up the great ideas.
TobyG
Buggy Builder

Postby Bill K » 12 Tue Oct, 2010 10:05 am

A NEW PLAN: Here's a new plan I have for the weekend of October 23th: I'm going to trailer my buggy to either Gruene or Bandera area. I'd like to leave Friday and sometime Saturday morning leave for a day of cruising. If I stay in the Gruene area I'm going to drive River Road up to Canyon Lake and out to run the Devil's Backbone. If in the Bandera area I'm going to make the run to Vanderpool, Leakey, Camp Wood, Garner State Park and Utopia. That's the run I've always wanted to do for the Roundup, but it's just been too long from the Boerne / Comfort area. Linda can't make this trip, so I'm trying to get my brother to go come, and if I can't get someone, then I'll do it alone.

I'm checking on accomodations now, and based on that will decide in which area I'm going to stay. The weather is just too good to pass up getting in some cruising before Winter sets in.

I plan to do this unless of course the weather forecast is just absolutely horrible, in which case I would have to abort the trip.

The Bottom Line is: I'd like nothing better than to have anyone and everyone who is interested to join me.

Anyone interested?
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 12 Tue Oct, 2010 11:37 am

Sorry, I have a barn razing to go to :twisted:
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 13 Wed Oct, 2010 8:40 am

Hell Yeah!!!!

Post up what you find for accommodations as soon as possible... some might want to look into their own...

We will see how and where we can hook up and get some cruise time in with you. Keep us posted.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Bill K » 13 Wed Oct, 2010 8:30 pm

GOOD NEWS: Without going into detail, I was getting pretty frustrated with trying to fine a good place in Gruene or Bandera. Then, Joe called tonight with great news. It appears we are going to be able to get two park-model trailers at Canyon Lake for $45 / per night / each, and they will sleep at least three comfortably. The trailers are a part of the Randolph Air Force Base Recreational Area at the lake. Joe is retired military and thus can get these for us. He is going to confirm everything tomorrow, and will be posting up more details.

Being at Canyon Lake is a perfect location for some really nice cruising. My plans are still to come up sometime Friday either with my brother, my nephew, or alone.
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 13 Wed Oct, 2010 9:35 pm

Ken,
Check your PM.
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 14 Thu Oct, 2010 9:39 am

Here is a link to the place Joe is working to get us a couple of Park Trailers.
http://www.randolphfss.com/cm/templates ... oneid=20#3
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Texasbuggys » 14 Thu Oct, 2010 10:44 pm

Keep me posted Bill, still have this one on my calender for Sat to Sun

Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 14 Thu Oct, 2010 11:43 pm

Well, the "Best Laid Plans of Men & Mice.....? I am extremely disappointed to say that I now can't make a cruise event on the October 23 rd weekend.
I've been working to put together a business deal in Kilgore for over a year and a half now, and I have one meeting left to go and I could have it wrapped up. Well, lo and behold, I get a call this afternoon telling me the meeting had to be rescheduled for the morning of Monday, October 25th. That just knocks me out of being able to do my planned cruise thing. :(

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience I may have caused anyone. :oops: And hey, if there is some interest by others, by all means, push on.
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Texasbuggys » 17 Sun Oct, 2010 9:01 pm

I was in Gruene today checking on rooms and everything in Gruene was booked that was close to town as they are having a big hand crafter pottery event all weekend so it would have been really crowded. Did take some time too look around at some places there. Next time we meet up we can talk about ideals.

Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Return to Events, Cruises, & Future Trips