Title/Registration Process

Information and links to the sites that are keeping us updated on the efforts related to fixing the Texas Administrative Code Section 217.3

Moderator: admin

Title/Registration Process

Postby Faron » 26 Mon Oct, 2020 11:34 pm

The process to get your Dune Buggy LEGALLY Title/Registered is not as difficult as many will have you believe. The Bottom line, go to your local TxDMV and tell them that you want to Title/Register an Assembled Vehicle. Tell them that you have a Dune Buggy & you want to know the process, go from there. Unfortunately, I have heard multiple processes, some were long, and some were short. Just know that there is very little continuity between the branches, and you will be making multiple trips.
Forms that you will need are the VTR-64, This will be the form filled out by the ASE Certified Master Mechanic. When he completes the form make sure that he also gives you an up to date form showing that he/she is in fact an ASE Certified Master Mechanic. This is something that can be found & printed from the ASE website.
You will also need to have a certified weight slip. I had this done at a truck stop that was convenient to me. Keep in mind your Dune Buggy will not likely be heavy enough to be picked up by their scale. So they will have you weigh it on a trailer and with it off the trailer. The TxDMV will then use the two forms to figure the weight. Sounds unusual, but it is common practice.
A VTR-64 will have to be performed by a Sheriff, your local TxDMV will tell you where you can schedule this step in the process. The Inspector will go over your vehicle to find all the serial numbers and the such to make sure that nothing is stolen. Not to brag or try and sell you something, but it was far easier to get through this part of the process with a Berrien Buggy or Manx Chassis because they come with an MCO in leu of a Title. All the inspectors had to do was check that one Serial Number, rather than all of them like what happens when a Classic Chassis is used.
3 clear and usable photos will be needed of your Dune Buggy & that will go with the packet to Austin.
Please remember that it is far easier to deal with people at the TxDMV if you are kind and just looking to get your Buggy Title/Registered. A good attitude & patience will go a long way.
If you have any questions, PLEASE do not hesitate to ask, I am happy to help in any way I can.
faron@109DuneBuggies.com
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Re: Title/Registration Process

Postby BrianB » 12 Thu Nov, 2020 3:03 pm

So i've been out a long time. Is it safe to say we can now title a dunebuggy as long as we have the donor vehicle title? This may or may not be a VW.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 12 Thu Nov, 2020 3:57 pm

The entire process is in detail above & I understand that some f it is confusing. If you have any questions, you are more than welcome to get in touch with me.

Faron@109DuneBuggies.com
505-688-7640 Cell
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 30 Mon Nov, 2020 4:48 pm

Is there anyone here that has sucessfully completed this new process?
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 30 Mon Nov, 2020 9:38 pm

I can name a bunch of people who have! I've done it.
Faron
Buggyholic

Return to Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Sandrail, Kitcar