Can somebody explain....?

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Can somebody explain....?

Postby GregR » 31 Thu May, 2007 11:07 am

OK, so it seems the buggy had gas that went bad because I let it sit too long. Had David O over and we thought we had that taken care of, good psark, no sticky valves, etc. The tank was pretty much empty and I put in about 4 gallons of fresh corn oil.....er, gas.
The buggy seemed to run great.

Fast forward to the dinner cruise at the Blast. I drove it to teh Civic Center from our motel room (after having been towed in the rain) and the farther I got into the trip, the worse the backfiring, spitting and sputtering....so I parked it and didn't take it on the cruise.

OK, Sunday now...towed it home, got drowned almost all the way to Waco then it started to clear. Got the buggy to the house and took it off the trailer. Idled pretty smooth, then I tried giving it some gas and absolutely no power. When I got to the garage I realized that it was running on 2 cylinders. Checked spark and it was there on all 4. So I let it idle while I unloaded the truck. After 15 minutes or so, it started backfiring and spitting. Haven't had a chance to do anything with it since then.

I assume I got water in the carbs while towing, I also assume I still have some really bad gas mixed with the fresh. I'll either drain it or get some Heet to remove the water.

Any other ideas?

Also, how can the engine run so well on just 2 and 4 with 1 and 3 being dead? I don't understand. Dual Kads, a pertronix ignition. Seems like 1 and 3 are getting the same fuel/air mixture as 2 and 4....anyone?
Thanks
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Russhebert » 31 Thu May, 2007 5:45 pm

I ran into the same situation with my buggy with it hitting on 2 cyls at idle and took it to Qualitat and we just could not understand how or why but it just does. As far as water is concerend I have had good luck with Beariman B12.
Russhebert
Buggy Nut

Postby GregR » 02 Sat Jun, 2007 10:23 am

Update:

I added some HEET to the gas in the tank and "shook" the buggy to mix it a bit. I also cleaned up the plugs as they were pretty sooty looking.
Started it up and after a few minutes, it ran great. Just like it did when David O got done with it a couple of days before the Blast.
Lesson learned: When it's raining COVER THE CARBS!
Had a nice little cruise this morning...all is right with the world. ;-)
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Buggy1 » 02 Sat Jun, 2007 7:02 pm

Ok, this may sound silly but it could bew that the disributor has shorting out some where inside. I know for years I put a rev limiter in the distributor to hold down tearing up the cars until the engine was brok in.

Also today I put my compu fire into my new 009 and found that one of the side screws was just a little loing...........not letting the weights come all the way to advance...............maybe something rubbing or shorting wires?

Neal 8-)
Neal
Texas manx Club #1
RBC Dune Buggy Club
DSB Buggies
Meyer's Manx Dune Buggy Club #1898
Buggy1
Buggy Nut

Postby David O' » 02 Sat Jun, 2007 10:16 pm

Putting a couple of washers (small) under that screw will make that problem go away.
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk