Distributors

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Distributors

Postby Russhebert » 17 Thu May, 2007 12:28 pm

I am having a small problem with my buggy wanting to lag just a little bit when it is under hard pedal when shifting between 1st and 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Some people tell me that I need to go to a vacume advance distributor and that would help that lag. I currently have a 1640 with a 009 and running electronic ignition. Is there an advantage in running a vacume advance that anyone knows of. Thanks for your help with this.
Russhebert
Buggy Nut

Postby Aquabuggy » 17 Thu May, 2007 1:38 pm

Hey Russell, This thread on the samba maybe of some help or maybe not. Good luck. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... hlight=009
My name is Chris and well I'm a buggy-aholic

04 Aqua buggy - sold
72 Orange buggy - sold
72 Green longbody - aka Shrek http://texasmanxclub.com/bboard/viewtopic.php?t=1082
68 Manx - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2509
Aquabuggy
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 17 Thu May, 2007 2:27 pm

If you set the 009 at idle and NOT look at what it is doing on the high speed, the problem goes away. One to three degrees advace more is NOT going to burn up a motor. If the 009 is set right, then there is no lag, and the engine will pull stronger than a vacuam advance dist.
DON'T listen to the "experts" they don't know how to set the 009......so of course, the distributor is the problem.
I have NEVER had a problem getting the 009 to work right, and none of the engines I've put them in has burned up because ofthe settings I use!
Remember, the early busses had centrifical advance distributors in them and they didn't lag. The 010 distributor had a centrifical advance in it and they didn't lag. Every engine is different, and so the 30 degree setting at the top end doesn't always hold. I usually look at the setting at idle and see if it is around 5 degrees at the right RPM. Cahnging the idle speed of the motor will greatly affect the position of the timing on the 009.
I hope this helps!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby Buggy1 » 17 Thu May, 2007 4:06 pm

I have been running 009 nine for many years and David O is right on the money. I have never had a problem and I ran them with compu fire ignition systems and still had no problems.

Neal :D
Neal
Texas manx Club #1
RBC Dune Buggy Club
DSB Buggies
Meyer's Manx Dune Buggy Club #1898
Buggy1
Buggy Nut

Postby Russhebert » 17 Thu May, 2007 6:24 pm

What should the max degree of advance be Right now it is at 30. Thanks for the help
Russhebert
Buggy Nut

Postby David O' » 17 Thu May, 2007 11:09 pm

You don't need to worry about the max....but I can tell you that 30 degrees max will not work for the 009. You need to set the IDLE speed with the distributor set at about 5 degrees advance and try the motor. 009 distributors only advance about 25 degrees when they kick all of the advance in. I've seen as little as 21 degrees!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby MojaveMel » 21 Mon May, 2007 10:41 am

I'm from the camp that says there are several variables. It's a package of carb and advance. I find different carbs like different amounts of advance at idle. If running a Weber more advance at idle gives me less of a flat spot. But I keep it under 30 degrees total with a 009. Weather can play a part too. With a single carb having heat riser tubes can help eliminate a flat spot. Is your accelerator pump coming in when it should?
MojaveMel

Postby Russhebert » 21 Mon May, 2007 5:51 pm

I tried to set timing at about 5 degrees advanced at idle and the car did not have the power that it had before. If I set it on 30 degrees full advanced it runs real good after secound but it acts like it don't like running at slow speed. It sounds like a v-8 with a big cam in first gear. It pops just a little in first till you accel into secound.
Russhebert
Buggy Nut

Postby David O' » 21 Mon May, 2007 10:36 pm

Man, I'm close enough to you, bring the car over and I'll show how to do it and see what is wrong. Call first! 214-227-4245
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby Russhebert » 22 Tue May, 2007 12:51 pm

Thanks for the help but when is a good time for you. I work monday through Thursday and friday till 11:00 am. I really appreciate the help and advice from everyone. My number is 817-713-3503
Russhebert
Buggy Nut

Return to Technical Talk