Question about engine cases

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Question about engine cases

Postby carlos del carpio » 07 Mon Nov, 2005 2:40 am

Hey folks,

How was your weekend?

I got a couple of donations...three to be exact.

An AS41 case

An AS21 case

And a short long block. What is a short long block? It's a short block
with 3 pistons, and no heads. =)

All donated, all used. The cases look in great condition, but without a
machine shop, who knows?

Which is the better case, and why? I can give more detailed info about
them, if it will help, but at least it was freeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 07 Mon Nov, 2005 11:25 pm

All or none of the blocks could be worth something. The AS41 case is a later model and the AS21 should be the earlier one. The blocks need to be taken completely apart, and the blocks checked for cracks, or broken pieces, inside, and then you need to look at the blocks and see if they have been setting on the ground, where they can get wet and cause the magnisium to start corroding. If you look on the bottom of the blocks, you will be able to see if they are of the dual relief oil system or the single relief system.
If the blocks have a 6mm stud on the top where the oil cooler goes, then it is a small oil galley model. If the top stud is 8mm, then the block is most lickly a large oil galley model.
Once the blocks are clean, put them back together without any thing inside, and look down the main bearing holes, and see if the center main bearing saddle is "spread".
It also helps to look at the block whee the oil cooler mounts and see if by some lucky chance the bore diameter and the thrust cut was marked. If you see no numbers there, then you will have to see what the actual measurement is so you will know if the blocks are usuable for what you want to do.
Remember, large stud holes around the piston bores eliminate the ability to bore the blocks for 94mm pistons. 8mm studs will allow for that size bore.
While on the subject, I would look to see if the blocks have the inserts "or case savers in them".
The actual serial number of the blocks will also tell you what year model cars they came on. I hope that this will give you some information to work with, if you have any other inquiries, I will be glad to help if I can.
I guess you can tell by this that I've machined a few of the blocks, in my day! LOL!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk