Sound of Headers

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Sound of Headers

Postby Bill K » 06 Sun May, 2007 4:45 pm

I'm running chrome trumpet-style headers on my car. They are the kind readily available from many suppliers, including JC Whitney.
I would like to tone down the sound a bit --- not make them quite, just tone 'em down some. I've been told to remove the baffles and stuff them with steel wool, and this would serve to tone down the sound.

Has anyone out there heard of doing something like this?
Does it work?
Is there any potential harm in doing this?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 06 Sun May, 2007 6:47 pm

It works!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 11 Fri May, 2007 4:51 pm

Bill it look like it has to be STAINLESS steel wool. from what i have read on the net, this is the ticket.

An example:
Its kind of a jake rig but you can pull the mufflers off and pack some stainless steel wool in the mufflers not to much so it can breathe but it will cut noise down immensely doesnt last forever as it eventually burns out I used to have a 73 Kaw 750 2 stroker with home made chambers and used steel wool in small 6 oz. juice cans for baffles on it The steel wool tamed the whole herd of bumblebees .Thats what the bike sounded like with no baffles. Its a cheap fix if you want to give it a try. Ive used the same trick in the collectors of my bracket car for tuning at home to keep the neighbors from complaining about open headers.

http://www.eggenfellneraircraft.com/MufflerRepackingInstructions.pdf
Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 12 Sat May, 2007 1:41 pm

Thanks so much
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk