shift rod bushing

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

shift rod bushing

Postby GregR » 18 Wed Apr, 2007 9:17 am

Well, I finally got a chance to replace the shift rod bushing...and it went pretty smooth! One of the best tips I had was to run a peice of wire or twine through the hole in the rear of the shift rod (for the coupler mount.) That allowed me to pull the rod back through the tunnel and the bushing hanger. Didn't need to take it all the way out the front of the buggy. Removed the shifter and coupler, hooked up the wire pull and worked the shift rod forward (that was fun. ) Make sure the cup is facing down or it hangs up on everything in its way. Slid the rod forward until it came out of the hanger. I chose to put the bushing in the hanger first (that hurt, fingers don't bend that way naturally.) Another tip I had was to put the bushing on the shift rod itself and then pull the whole thing back through. Grease everything up really well and start pulling your wire. It'll fight since it's a tight fit for the rod through the bushing. Make a loop of something (I used another section of wire) to help support the shift rod through the shifter mount. This also helps to "jiggle" (technical term) the shift rod as you pull it through. I was surprised at how easy this was. I've read so many horror stories.... Sorry though, no pictures, I was doing this solo :D
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby David O' » 18 Wed Apr, 2007 10:24 am

I'm really glad to know you were able to develope the fine art of "jiggling". I'd like to see the demo of that one of these days!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby Buggy1 » 18 Wed Apr, 2007 3:24 pm

Thats not news, I saw Greg jiggle great when a grasshoper jump into the buggy for a ride one year at the blast!

Neal :shock: :shock:
Neal
Texas manx Club #1
RBC Dune Buggy Club
DSB Buggies
Meyer's Manx Dune Buggy Club #1898
Buggy1
Buggy Nut

Postby David O' » 18 Wed Apr, 2007 5:09 pm

Ok, Greg, you have my permission to go over there now! :lol: :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk