need some ideas????---finding centerline on hood

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

need some ideas????---finding centerline on hood

Postby MURZ » 22 Sat Oct, 2005 8:09 pm

What do you think would be the easiest way to determine the centerline of my hood??? Since the hood is rounded and the edges not symetrical i am having a hard time. I am scared about cutting that sucker. Should I just cut out a circle on a piece of paper and move it around until it looks right???
Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 22 Sat Oct, 2005 8:36 pm

Cutting? For what, a fuel outlet?

I recommend mounting the tank with the outlet already in place, and from beneath circling/outlining the fuel outlet on the back side of the hood... :D
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby Buggy1 » 22 Sat Oct, 2005 11:45 pm

mount the tank in the body of the car with the hood off, then using blue paiaters tape pull a long piece acrose the fenders and over the inlet. Next take a piece of blue tape and go down the body untill it croseses the tank.

Now measure the distance from the ends of the tape and write that down.

If the tank does ot have a center mounted inlet, I recomend that you hook up the filler neck from the tank to a 90 degree piece of PVC pie and secure it with a hose clamp. Then you can raise the PVC up against the hood ( laying on the body and draw around it. then find te center of that circle and drill one small hole as a guide pilot for the ceercular saw.

Drill slow and steady and when she goes through you have a hole that the neck fitting will go through and line up with the PVC. secure with another piece of hose and clamp it to both the PVC and the filler cap - I used a Bug Pack filler.

That shhould do it.

If it is a center mount then you can use the measurements to drill the pilot hole in the center of the hood and use a Ford 150 cap system to finish off..........Be sure of which way your going to do it and have the parts on hand before drilling.
Neal
Texas manx Club #1
RBC Dune Buggy Club
DSB Buggies
Meyer's Manx Dune Buggy Club #1898
Buggy1
Buggy Nut

Postby Orange-A-Peel » 22 Sat Oct, 2005 11:57 pm

F-1 Hawk, what year F150 cap system?
Orange-A-Peel

Postby David Head » 24 Mon Oct, 2005 11:51 am

Murz, I used masking tape, taped the approximate location. Than I borrowed my wifes sewing tape measure. Its cloth and follows the contures of the hood. That way I can take it (the cloth tape measure) all the way to the edge of the hood. I also used this method for location of the front turn signals. Good Luck. David H
Maroon Manx

(o\_!_/o)
David Head
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk