Bearings versus bushings

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Bearings versus bushings

Postby carlos del carpio » 19 Wed Oct, 2005 10:50 am

Hey folks, my front beam's bearings are shot... I need to replace them, and they're a tad pricey... I've heard of the urathane bushing replacements, and if anyone has any long term experience with them. I don't want to buy them if I'm replacing them every two years or so, how long do they last? I'm not one for ride comfort, since the suspension settings on my buggy are rather stiff anyway...

thanks for the input!

:D
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby David Head » 19 Wed Oct, 2005 11:31 am

Carlos, I used urethane bushings on my rail, And about 11,000 miles later they are still going strong. But I don't do any off road stuff. I liked them so much I put them on my F/G buggy also. Some people complain about them squeaking, but if they squeak, I don't hear them. But again my engine is kind of loud. Good Luck, David H
Maroon Manx

(o\_!_/o)
David Head
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 20 Thu Oct, 2005 8:24 pm

If your bearings are shot, chances are that your arms have the "bearing groove" worn into the arms. The bushings will take all of the play out of the front end, and they don't make noise. Of course, you need to regrease the front beam when you put them in. These are available from me (aircooledparts.com), if you want to know where to get them! Let me know if I can help!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 20 Thu Oct, 2005 8:44 pm

Hey, Dave! Thanks for the offer, yeah! PM me, and I'll work out the details with ya! Awesome!

No, nothing worn/grooved..here's my story..

In order to get 'mil-spec' powdercoating (at a discounted rate), I have to wait for the powdercoaters to call me and say "Carlos, we have a job for the navy, in the color you wanted, so if you bring it by X date, we can throw it in the batch..."

Sooo, I got the call, and had only a day to 'prep' it.. (remove/grind weld splatter, level raised spots, etc..) so, I spent HOURS trying to bang out the bearings, but at the last minute, only had time to cover them, and drive them to the coaters...and yet the blasting and heating destroyed the bearings... (they're still there, just can't move, they're fused) (sucks, NEW bearings destroyed..but, darn good price on powdercoating)......

so, I need to get my dremel tool and cut them out..now, I know that there are (from outside in) bearings, then some kind of spacer/sleeve..now, when I remove the bearings, do I leave that bushing in, or does that come out, to put in the urathane sleeve/bearing replacements??
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 21 Fri Oct, 2005 1:36 am

Also, guy. I have NEVER seen or heard of a spacer between the bearings of a front beam!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 21 Fri Oct, 2005 1:59 am

Ok, this is what I was talking about, from outside, in, I thought it was

seal, torsion arm
needle bearing
metal bushing for trailing arm

and that's it.. I didn't know there was another bearing on the other side of the metal bushing..

Now, are you saying this metal bushing is the 'inner bearing', or is the order:

seal
bearing
bushing
bearing

??

My bently shows it as I said it, hmm!

Another question.the outer seal, I have those in urathane, is the piece you're offering for replacement include that in the mold/item, or do I still need them?

thanks again!!
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 23 Sun Oct, 2005 2:31 am

K, I just removed the bearings from the front beam, what a pain! That was NOT fun.

Here's what is inside the tubes..bearings on the outside, then some micarta bushing within..

Soo.. am I going to need that loooong urethane bushing? Or the two piece urethane?

Red. It's gotta be red. ALso, do you have the red urethane ball joint dust cover replacements?

I'll need those too....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 23 Sun Oct, 2005 3:25 pm

You will need the long units, and the end seals of them come as a one piece unit. PM me for more details!
David O'
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk