Pan cut!

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Pan cut!

Postby Faron » 15 Sat Oct, 2005 7:59 am

Sunday morning I am finally going to take my Chassis over to have a welder. He is going to cut it down to fit to my Buggy Body, and replace the pans for $440. He said he will put it up on a Gig (?Spelling?) to make sure it is straight, and Buggy warehouse recommended him. $440. sounds like a fair price to me.....am I correct?
Thanks for all the help!
Faron
Faron
Buggyholic

If Buggy Warehouse recommended him

Postby Texasbuggys » 15 Sat Oct, 2005 8:59 am

You are in good shape. Who are you dealing with at Buggy Warehouse? Also while at the welders take some pics as being done and post here so others can see them and also list who did the work for you and how others can contact him. Great to see you moving forward with your project.
Get your new short or long body, custom chassis, show cages, bumpers and accessories at http://www.texasbuggys.com

E-Mail Texasbuggys@suddenlink.net or call 361-218-6272
Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 15 Sat Oct, 2005 11:21 am

Yeah, 440 sounds very fair, for new pans and a cut/fit. Just imagine 60-75 bucks an hour for usual labor rate, and that's 5-7 hours of work... which is a very good price! He has a jig...this means he's DONE IT BEFORE, and knows what's involved..another good thing..oh, if you're in San Antonio, are you staying the night?

Apparently every hotel (on the river walk) hired jazz bands from Local New Orleans pubs/clubs (when they were re-located), so walking down the river walk will be fun, with good ol' fashioned music! Take pics!
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 15 Sat Oct, 2005 10:36 pm

I live in San Antonio, so I dont need a hotel. I should of said that...err ahhh it should be on my deal to the left. Ohh well it looks as though I will have to figure something else out.....I dont have time to get it over to him tomorrow. I have to go into work so I can help Drive to Austin in order to pick up and bring home a couple of cars. I am so bummed! This was the only time I could get this done this week. My wife and I are going out of town Thursday ---Sunday! Ahhh Heck I have GOT to figure something else out!! So Bummed
Faron
Faron
Buggyholic

Thanks Dad!

Postby Faron » 18 Tue Oct, 2005 12:23 am

:D My Dad is retired and offered to take my body and chassis over to the welder today, so I took him up on his offer. The guy I am using is Mike Broadway, and he comes highly recomendedby the guys over at Buggy Warehouse. I look forward to getting everything back in a week or so. Bummer thing is that he has everything except the hood. Ohh well, I am off to Santa Monica Thursday thru Sunday, so I wouldnt have much time to mess with it anyway. Just thought I would pass on the good news!
Faron
Faron
Buggyholic

Body to pan match

Postby Texasbuggys » 18 Tue Oct, 2005 6:52 am

Faron, if he has done it before he will know. Just ask to be 100% sure if he is going to build and fit the pan and especially the sides to your body kit as that is where most pan jobs look bad if not done right and also to cut loose the tubes fro the tunnel and allow them to push out the back of the pan as the front half and rear half are pushed together and once all welding is done they can be trimmed off out the back to what the original lengths were. This way you retain the solid one piece of tubing without a splice and the cables will be happy with you in the end and it makes for a lot cleaner and nice look. While there have him do your shift tube also.
Get your new short or long body, custom chassis, show cages, bumpers and accessories at http://www.texasbuggys.com

Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby Mike & Mel » 20 Sun Nov, 2005 12:18 pm

If you will be taking it off-road at all, be sure to beef up the tunnel around the E-brake. I began to feel alot of movement after a while. When I looked, I had some pretty good stress cracks around the heater control slots. The Manx Club Garage has a section in How to Shorten a Pan that covers this on page-4.

http://www.meyersmanx.com/garage/garage_shorten_p1.htm

Here are the before and after pics of mine;

Mike & Mel
Manx Club #2265
RBC - THE Place to Be. www.RBCdunebuggy.org
Texas Manx Club
One of T.O.P.s
Joe Poty Sand Rover
Mike & Mel
Buggy Nut

Postby Buggy1 » 21 Mon Nov, 2005 12:46 pm

very good point Mike and Mel, I have see a lot of breaks just right in that place.
Neal
Texas manx Club #1
RBC Dune Buggy Club
DSB Buggies
Meyer's Manx Dune Buggy Club #1898
Buggy1
Buggy Nut

Postby carlos del carpio » 21 Mon Nov, 2005 1:12 pm

For those who are going to cut their pan, here's a quick look of what you need to AVOID when chopping! :D

http://www.carlosdelcarpio.com/pan_cut.htm
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Hey Faron

Postby Texasbuggys » 11 Sun Dec, 2005 8:41 pm

Check you personal messages. After you log in, look at the top and click on new messages.

Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk