wheel adapters

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

wheel adapters

Postby buggyryan » 12 Mon Jun, 2006 12:56 pm

hey guys has any of y'all had any experience using the wheel adaptors to use different wheels ? faron is curious and so i am since they are so many cool wheels to use other than just vw wheels. the other option would be to re-drill the drums or rotors to the different bolt pattern. has anyone had this done? and do you have to have a blank rotor or drum to drill the new pattern? if this is the case where do you get a blank drum or rotor? thanks guys
buggyryan
Buggy Nut

Postby carlos del carpio » 12 Mon Jun, 2006 1:53 pm

I bought blank rotors, and the option to drill a specifc bolt pattern was used, the people who sold it drilled it, too! I got the porsche bolt pattern...
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 12 Mon Jun, 2006 1:54 pm

I used to have adapters for 4 lug VW to 5 lug Chevy(4.75 dia.), never had a problem with them. Of course I am street only. Off road adapters may not (especially the 4lug to 5 lug) stand up.
I now have 4 wheel disc brakes. They were originally 4 lug and have been drilled and studs inserted for 5 lug Ford (4.5"dia). I bought them the entire setup through Hawkeye. I understand that AC Industries now offers 4 wheel disc brakes in pretty much any pattern you want.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby buggyryan » 12 Mon Jun, 2006 8:11 pm

so would it be ok to drill rotors that already have the holes drilled to change them? ya know like from 4 x 130 to 4 x 100. i wasnt sure if it would terribly weaken the rotor or not? i am not to that point yet but wanted to be ready when i do go with the rotors and wheels.
buggyryan
Buggy Nut

Postby GregR » 12 Mon Jun, 2006 8:36 pm

considering the point you're at, I'd try to avoid redrilling. Get some blanks and start fresh.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Faron » 12 Mon Jun, 2006 10:03 pm

I have all the disk brakes, and they are 4 by 130. I would like them to be 4 by 100. The wheel options are better and much cheaper. I am not sure what to do............HELP HELP HELP
Ryan and I called and found out that it would cost about $50.00 per wheel. So if I look at the big picture what ever wheels I choose will really be $200. more. The bottom line is the wheel selection is better for a 4 by 100 bolt pattern.
What to do..... What to do.....
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby blackthree4me » 16 Fri Jun, 2006 8:16 pm

Igot mine at so cal imports
bought blanks (can be hard to get sometimes backordered)
then had them drilled and studs pressed in
abot a 100 each yikes
you can have old ones redrilled to a new pattern they just use a stud
thats cut off flush to fill the holes
id have a pro do it if you go that rout
personally I would think any old adapters would work for a street buggy
people have abused them and they broke in the past
I have broke allot of stuff I abused LOL
blackthree4me
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 16 Fri Jun, 2006 10:31 pm

OK who sells wheel adapters, and what kind of cost are we talking? I guess I will look around.
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 17 Sat Jun, 2006 2:40 pm

Since you already have the discs, instead of ordering drilled in the pattern you want like someone metioned a few months back, you will have to break down and get the wheel adapters. Keep in mind that with 4x100 adapters you will be mostly limited to FWD rims. Personally i would opt for the Ford or Chevy Pattern.
Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 17 Sat Jun, 2006 8:17 pm

You can always try selling your stuff to another member, ebay, the samba, etc... get some of the bling back to apply it towards the new desired pattern...
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 17 Sat Jun, 2006 9:07 pm

I am just going to go with the JC Whitney special. They will fit what I have, and they are only $600. for a full set. I will put 15" by 7 in the front, and 15" by 10" in the back!
What do you guys think?
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Item ... 2710008070
Gonna have to cut & pacte
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 18 Sun Jun, 2006 12:19 am

for the front, depends on the wheel's offset..the more 'in' it is, sure it'll look great under the fender, but 7-inches may cut down on the steering angles... when compared to stock

for the rear, it also depends on the wheel's offset.. for the articulation, don't wanna hit anything on the suspension, and you don't want to put stresses on the rear bearings/stub axles...
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk