Brake Proportioning Valve!

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Brake Proportioning Valve!

Postby Faron » 10 Wed May, 2006 10:07 pm

I have installed disk brakes on the front, and plan to install Disk on the back of my Buggy as well. (Although I have been told that it is to much braking power!) I bought a Brake Proportioning Valve, and I understand what it does, but have no idea where to install it. I am thinking about putting in the passenger foot area, close to the seat. I was thinking that I could then adjust it when ever I want to by placing it there. Is this a good or bad idea?
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 10 Wed May, 2006 10:55 pm

how many outlets does it have? One in/one out? I think on your situation, it 'depends'.. is it too much front, or too much break that you wanna control?? I think (not sure) that a buggy's gonna have too much front vs. too much rear, so yeah, I think we'd be adjusting (reducing) the fronts...

I need one, too..so why not send me yours, and I'll test it for you for.. a couple of years? LOL! :lol:
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 11 Thu May, 2006 1:14 am

Brake prop. valves are meant to adjust the rear brakes, so that the wheels do not lock up and slide due to the weight of the vehicle being shifted to the front during a hard stop.
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 11 Thu May, 2006 8:12 am

Yea... It is to adjust the front to back brakes, in order to keep the front from locking up. Looks like a neat little box with a knob on the top. I thought of another cool application for it as well. I will be able to adjust the front brakes to be the only ones that lock.....that way it will be even easier to get that NASTY burn out I like so well. :P

:x Now then back to my question! :D (Just kidding!!! I am not really unhappy!) Is putting it in the passanger foot compartment close to the seat, so that I can adjust when ever I want a good or a bad idea?

Carlos, they are not expencive...I think mine was like $20.00 ( :D Sorry man, you cant borrow mine. :D)
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 11 Thu May, 2006 11:28 am

hm...as I see it, it's not a valve you're going to adjust with every twist and turn..it's something that is going to be trial'd, adjusted, then left alone..

I say for that reason, and for two others, keep it away from ya.. you can agree in the cab, the more room, the better, your feet or body won't be knocking it around (or breaking it), and because it is a possible leak point, a brake fluid leak in the cab is yucky.
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk