Wiring

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Wiring

Postby Keith Wenzel » 11 Tue Oct, 2005 9:23 pm

I wired my tail lights and brake lights on my rail, using the flat pancake styled lights. The lights have a black and red wire. When I run the tail lights, the brake lights don't come on. Without the tail lights on, the brake lights work. Can I assume I have the wires backward?
Father and Son Projects
Keith Wenzel
Buggy Driver

Postby Buggy1 » 12 Wed Oct, 2005 8:37 am

I ran into this problem on my tail lights, the body of the tail light assembly is the ground. You have to take the rubber gasket off the thread and use a lock washer to make good contact. I worked for months on my chassis before Neil Decker told me what he did and that cured the problem.

To find out which wire ( I don't remember which one ) is the brake light and the other is the run light.......clamp a battery charger ground clamp on the body and the touch each wire to see which is the brightest.

Now some use one light for each function ( I know Neil does this ). I wanted all the lights to work though cause I live in Dallas and I wanted to make sure people would see me and see what I am doing.

Hope this helps, let me know
Neal
Texas manx Club #1
RBC Dune Buggy Club
DSB Buggies
Meyer's Manx Dune Buggy Club #1898
Buggy1
Buggy Nut

Postby GregR » 13 Thu Oct, 2005 3:12 pm

Keith, if the diagram shows up maybe this will help.
I think you want to wire the brake and turn together,
not the brake and tail. Don't remember how mine are but...
Let us know how it works out. By the way, the diagram is from Dale M and Buggy-Talk
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Keith Wenzel » 17 Mon Oct, 2005 9:33 am

Ok, heres an update. I changed the wires on the lights(I have 4 in the back) and that fixed that problem. Now, when I have the tail lights on the blinkers don't work. Let me say that I have the small amber lights with two wires. I connected one of the wires in-line with the tail lights and the other wire to the flashers. I'm sure there is some user error somewhere.

You really don't need turn signals on a dunebuggy since most people stop and stare at you as you make your turns!
Father and Son Projects
Keith Wenzel
Buggy Driver

Return to Technical Talk