Camber Setting

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Camber Setting

Postby Bill K » 15 Tue Oct, 2019 10:53 am

Is the Camber on a King Pin front end adjustable?
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Re: Camber Setting

Postby Heathwerner » 16 Wed Oct, 2019 9:26 pm

Yes Bill, it is adjustable. I have been rebuilding my link pin front end on my new project and have learned more than I ever wanted to know and still having issues but thats another story. The camber is adjusted by moving shims from one side to another on the link pin part of the arms. It is done by using a straight edge across the upper and lower arm with the wheel, brake assembly and link pins removed. Some have 8 shims and others have 10 shims and you do not remove any just move them from front to back. There are several You Tube videos that can explain it a lot better than I can. Hopefully your link/king pins are not worn out, then it turns into a project that I would recommend having someone do it for you. The link pins can actually be tightened to a point if the have loosened up a bit. If your bushings in your beam have worn out where the arms slide in, welcome to my nightmare. This is for sure a job for a VW mechanic due to the different bushings, bearings, sizes and not to mention the greasy mess. Wish I would have paid someone to do mine but now I am knee deep into it. Sorry Bill, didnt mean to get off on my issues. Just want to give you a heads up on what you may run into if you are planning on diving into front end issues. First I would jack up the front end and give it the once over. Grab the wheel and give it a good shake back and forth and see if there is any slack anywhere and go from there. I hope you may just need to adjust your link pins by tightening them. If you have any questions or just want to talk about it feel free to give me a call.
Heathwerner
Buggy Nut

Re: Camber Setting

Postby Bill K » 16 Wed Oct, 2019 10:29 pm

Thanks a bunch, Heath. I'll start with a little diagnostic work as you suggest.

I put a whole new front end on my Buggy when I was building it, so hopefully the bushings are OK.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk