Major Decisions

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Major Decisions

Postby Heathwerner » 25 Thu Jul, 2019 7:54 pm

Today was a day of major decisions. Here is how it went:
To go to work or not to go to work - Not
Where do we go, Houston or Galveston - Galveston
What do we take, Baja Bug or Dune Buggy - Dune Buggy
Where do we eat, 100 places to choose from - Soda Fountain Drug Store ( Had a great brunch)
Where to now, home or cruise around Galveston - Cruise around Galveston
What now - Beer joint on the Beach
How many beers, one or two - two ( I am driving)
Now here is where things to a turn. After a couple of beers we cruised around some more and the clutch on the Buggy started chattering real bad on take off in 1st gear. It started all at once so Im not sure what happened. It acts like oil may have gotten on the fly wheel somehow. Maybe the main seal failed? We drove it home without any other issues other than the chatter on take off. Any ideas on what may be going on?
Last decision of the day, do I pull the motor - Yes because The Round Up is right around the corner!
All in all it was a Great Day!

Heath
Heathwerner
Buggy Nut

Re: Major Decisions

Postby Bryan Porter » 27 Sat Jul, 2019 7:17 pm

Not enough beer !!!!!
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 28 Sun Jul, 2019 7:20 pm

Bryan Porter wrote:Not enough beer !!!!!

LOL I thought this a very perceptive response!

So what's the diagnosis Heath?
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Heathwerner » 29 Mon Jul, 2019 9:49 pm

Well after drinking more beer I decided to take another look at it. I then found a broken clutch arm return spring. At this point I was very happy that it was going to be an easy cheap ( $3.50) fix. So this evening I picked up the spring and installed it. Thinking beer time was in order I cranked up the buggy, put it in gear and low and behold still having the same chatter with no difference. tempted to pop open a cold beer anyway and stand there and stare at it, I didnt. So instead I pulled the engine determined to get to the bottom of it. Glad I did because I found a broken pressure plate. So off to the vw shop tomorrow to get parts. And of course while I have the engine pulled I will replace the pressure plate, clutch, throughout bearing, seals, have fly wheel turned, etc.....
Problem located!
Now its beer time Brian!
Heathwerner
Buggy Nut

Postby Heathwerner » 30 Tue Jul, 2019 10:06 pm

Well I got all my parts today to put my clutch back together so I can get the engine back in. Cleaned up a all the parts and pieces. put in new throw out bearing and tranny shaft seal. Went to install the fly wheel and picked up the gland nut and the washer just feel apart into two pieces. Thats about how it goes. So progress came to a halt over a 2 dollar washer. Beer time now Bryan until I get a new washer.
Heathwerner
Buggy Nut

Postby ScottR » 02 Fri Aug, 2019 5:06 pm

I hate to here and read about the troubles you are having. The cause sucks but the story is very interesting and sometimes funny.
ScottR
Buggy Nut

Postby Heathwerner » 02 Fri Aug, 2019 9:39 pm

Its crazy how something so simple can throw you such curve balls. Picked up a couple of washers from one of the local vw shops nearby. So I put everything back together with all new parts and went to start the engine and it would not even turn over. It was like something was in a bind. Here I go again, pulled the engine back out and started working my way backwards looking for what was causing the engine not to turn over. It came down to the o-ring on the fly wheel. Sounds crazy that a litttle rubber o- ring would stop the engine from turning over but at 217 ft lbs I can tell you it will. Next I got on the interweb and did a little research to find out that the early 1200 engines did not take an o-ring on the fly wheel. Go figure. So FYI (not that any of you guys run a 1200, except for 6-volt John) the fly wheel for the early model 6-volt engines do not take an o-ring on the fly whee. Got the engine back in this evening and all is good. Opened that beer to celebrate and clean up all the tools and mess I had made. This is when I noticed my right wheel was leaking fluid big time. Its gear oil not brake fluid. So now I will be pulling the wheel axle apart tomorrow and putting in a new wheel kit. I look at it like this, If its going to happen I would rather it happens now and not in Kerrville.

Thanks Scott. Its all good and I have to keep a good sense of humor about it all. I actually enjoy working on the Buggy and Baja and thats what makes me a "Buggy Nut"
Heathwerner
Buggy Nut

Postby Heathwerner » 12 Mon Aug, 2019 9:52 pm

So I have been still dealing with the clutch shutter. I had installed a used clutch disk and pressure plate that I had got a good deal on. They looked practically new but still had the shudder. I ordered brand new ones and installed them, still have the shudder. Oh, and new motor mounts. Next I decided to go back and recheck everything. When I got to the tunnel clutch tube I couldnt see well enough to determine if the tube welds had come loose so I ordered a camera to put up in the tunnel to get a better look. I found what appeared that the center weld was not there. I cut the tunnel open and welded it. Tomorrow I will put it back together and take it for a test run. Fingers crossed, now I am running out of time to get this issue resolved. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Heathwerner
Buggy Nut

Postby Heathwerner » 13 Tue Aug, 2019 7:28 pm

Well that wasn't it. On to ordering bowden tube and throw out bearing arm. Pulling the engine for the fourth time. This will be all the parts I can replace. If one of these two things dont do it I at a total loss. There again if anyone has any ideas Im all ears.
Heathwerner
Buggy Nut

Postby GregR » 14 Wed Aug, 2019 9:12 am

Make sure the Bowden tube has enough bend in it. Too little will definitely cause chatter.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Bill K » 22 Thu Aug, 2019 10:04 pm

From experience, I agree with Gregg.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Heathwerner » 24 Sat Aug, 2019 8:36 am

Thanks guys for your input. I have pulled the engine 5 times at this point and have replaced everything possible. Bought and replaced the bowden even though my old one looked good and installed a tranny support. Still have the chatter. The chatter isnt bad but has drove me insane at this point. Whatever is going on you all will get a chance to hear and see it for yourselves because I am buttoning everything up this weekend and bringing it to the Blast . It will either survive the weekend or I will be the proud recipient of the Doom Buggy or Rubber Chicken award.
Heathwerner
Buggy Nut

Postby Heathwerner » 24 Sat Aug, 2019 8:40 am

I meant the" Round Up".
Heathwerner
Buggy Nut

Return to Technical Talk