oil pump

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

oil pump

Postby buggyryan » 06 Thu Apr, 2006 4:57 pm

hi guys , could someone tell me which oil pump i need to get for an as41 case. i was told it was the mounting stud size is the difference 6mm to 8mm but i want to only order it once. also is there a huge benefit from running the slightly larger 26 mm gear pump or the 30 mm gear pump? i am going full flow on the case with a remote oil filter so i wasnt sure if the extra pressure was needed or not.
buggyryan
Buggy Nut

Postby David O' » 06 Thu Apr, 2006 10:23 pm

The first consideration is what type of camshaft you have, is it a flat cam or is it deep dish. Second, the 26mm gears do not make more oil pressure, they only increase the vol. of oil that is pumped. The pump will still have to be modified to do the external or full flow option.
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby buggyryan » 07 Fri Apr, 2006 11:25 pm

well i am pretty sure it is a flat cam not dished. so i am not really looking for higher pressure in this situation just increased flow? the case has been modified for full flow and i think i saw something about drilling or plugging the pump to make it full flow? does that sound correct? so would i benefit from a 30 mm heay duty pump? or is it just overkill and not neccesary?
buggyryan
Buggy Nut

Postby David O' » 07 Fri Apr, 2006 11:29 pm

Yes you drill and tap the pump body, install the plug, and then install it. 30mm gears? The pumps that I have that are the HD models, have 26mm gears, the standard gears are 21mm.
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk