Brake lines

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Brake lines

Postby Buzzfagan » 20 Thu Jul, 2017 9:16 pm

About to start running brake lines on my Manx style buggy. Have 4 wheel discs and a dual master cylinder.

Any good info, tips, tools and diagrams you can give me to get me through it successfully without any more trial and error than possible?

Thanks in advance!
Buzzfagan
Buggy Driver

Re: Brake lines

Postby Ken » 20 Thu Jul, 2017 9:39 pm

Harbor Freight hand tube bender and their flaring kit worked well for me for very reasonable price.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby johber41 » 27 Sun Aug, 2017 10:20 pm

VW brakes are pretty easy.....even the 1961 drum brakes!
johber41
Buggyholic

Postby Tappa » 26 Tue Sep, 2017 6:28 am

Just re-did the front disc brakes, calipers, lines and master cylinder. It took more time than I expected but the results were good and it stops nice.
The trickiest part was getting all the leaks fixed. Had to plug one outlet on the master and the plug would't seat, so it leaked like a sieve. I mounted
the master cylinder reservoir inside the cockpit up high above my left foot and ran the supply lines through the firewall to the master cylinder. My buggy
has a hood that opens and allows access to fill the res.
Running the hard lines was a bit of a challenge and I found it easier to bend them and then attach them to the master cylinder before mounting it in the car.
This way you're not trying to get the fittings to line up after the master cylinder is mounted. Don't tighten them down too much so they can turn, until you get them in the car and where you want them.
Hope this helps.
Tappa
Buggy Nut

Postby johber41 » 27 Wed Sep, 2017 8:00 am

You are right....it's hard to use the little thumb bender when you are trying to reach the MC under the drivers side wheel well.
johber41
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk