Lost a wheel on US 75 in Dallas

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Lost a wheel on US 75 in Dallas

Postby Tex570 » 19 Wed Apr, 2017 11:28 pm

So, it looks like the guy who swapped out the rear rims (steel to aluminum) on my buggy didn't bother to get longer bolts. The result was the rear wheel coming off when I was heading to downtown Dallas in the middle of the highway. I managed to get the wheel back on but I lost two bolts when they sheared off. I also lived, so that was also nice.

I plan on replacing all the bolts on the rear wheels with longer ones. Has anyone done this, and how/what bolts did you buy?
Tex570
Buggy Dude

Re: Lost a wheel on US 75 in Dallas

Postby Bobsbuggy » 20 Thu Apr, 2017 9:27 am

I wish I could help you with your question. I am just glad you survived the experience. US 75 is not the place to have a wheel come off (if there really is a good place for a thing like that).
Bobsbuggy
Buggy Nut

Re: Lost a wheel on US 75 in Dallas

Postby Heathwerner » 20 Thu Apr, 2017 5:23 pm

Are you running stock studs on the stock drums, rotors or adapter plates? I changed them out on my adapter plates based on the type of aluminum wheel you have. There are acorn style, beveled style and many different threads along with lengths. With aluminum wheels you want to make sure that you use the right ones for your setup because if not they can and will come loose on you and ruin your wheel by wallowing out the lug holes. I did research by googling it and doing some measuring on the thickness of my wheels and style of lug nuts to determine the length of the studs. Your local auto parts store carries most of the different styles or can order them for you. I was able to set my adapter plate up on a vise and knock the old ones out with a hammer. When I installed the new one I used an impact and large washers stacked to suck the new studs into the plate. Then I tack welded them in which was probably not necessary because its not like they are going to fall out once you put your wheel on. You just want to make sure that you seat them all the way into the adapter plate. I ended up with a Chevy stud and a beveled lug nut. My suggestion is to do a little online investigating and hopefully the little advice I have given will get you headed in the right direction. Glad you are OK and it didn't damage your buggy, you are very lucky. Wheels not falling off is one of those important things like brakes and steering. Good Luck!
Heath
Heathwerner
Buggy Nut

Return to Technical Talk