Bolts and nuts

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Bolts and nuts

Postby Buzzfagan » 14 Sat Jan, 2017 11:40 am

I am finally ready to start putting back together all the component that I removed from the chassis/frame on my Manx style rebuild today. I completely disassembled everything from it to clean it up, rust proof it and replace what needed to with new parts.

I got new bolts/nuts,etc. to use for the re-assembly where I could. My question is should I apply something (lube,anti-seize, thread lock????) to the threads on all the bolts/nuts/screws, etc. when putting stuff on. Not sure which way to go here? I am talking about putting together everything from the whole front end to tie rods, transmission, etc.

Also now that all the components are rust-proofed is there anything I should do to prevent rust on the threads of the holes a bolts and screws (or is I use one of the above items will that prevent rust?
Buzzfagan
Buggy Driver

Re: Bolts and nuts

Postby Ken » 17 Tue Jan, 2017 9:28 am

Personally, I choose clean hardware and lock washers with the appropriate torque, over locktite. But if I do feel the need for locktite, I always use blue, removable, for my buggy's. Use a torque wrench and don't over tighten, especially around the engine. I can't imagine how much time that advice would have saved me with bolt and stud extractions.

Good luck.
Ken
Site Admin

Re: Bolts and nuts

Postby johber41 » 21 Sat Jan, 2017 12:13 pm

i believe Ken is the better way to go. I believe in lock tight on top fuel dragsters and space shuttles but not on these cars. And like Ken stated, you have to sometimes take stuff apart. Its always better when you do not need a torch to get things apart.
johber41
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk