Tire / wheel Size

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Tire / wheel Size

Postby Buzzfagan » 13 Fri Jan, 2017 12:07 am

So I have a dilemma which I need some advice on please!!

I am restoring Manx style El Lobo buggy and at the point I am ready to start putting it all back together. I am trying to shoot kind of blind on the wheel size/tire size combination that I want and will function good with no rubbing. Everything I am restoring on the front and back end is pretty much stock specifications other than having adjustable spring plates in the back. Months Angie I have already ordered and received from my buggy supplier 15x10 wheels for the back and 15x5 wheels for the front. My buggy dealer recommended I not go wider than 5" on the front wheels to prevent rubbing on driving and turning.

So I abided by that and ordered and received exactly what I I said above. Now I am searching for tires and have run into a dilemma. For the look I want I was trying to get BFG Radial T/A's either the raised white lettering. I have no problem finding tires and buying for the back and have chosen P295 / 50 /R 15 RWL's. I really like the raised white lettering on the buggies.

The problem I am having now is that according to the guildlines the max I can put on the front 5" is a 195. But BFG has stopped production on these and I cannot find them anywhere. Discount Tire said they had them when I went in about two months ago and I was pumped and payed for them and ordered them but when I went to pick them up they said they were out of stock and could not get them anywhere. I did a web search and could not find them anywhere as well. They have stopped production of the 195's in the raised white lettering to match my rear 295's.

I can find the 205's for the front but they are rated for a minimum of 5.5" wheel and will not fit on a 5" I am told. So I am in a dilemma. My buggy parts dealer said he was worried that anything above a 5" wheel I would have trouble with them rubbing so I am afraid to go to 6". I would if it would work even though it would cost me a pretty penny to send back the 5" and have sent out the 6" that would accommodate the 205's. Does anyone have any suggestions??

I hate to spend all the shipping money to go to the front 6" wheel to accommodate the 205's to match the rear 295's but if I absolutely had to I would. My biggest concern though is whether the 6"/205 on the front would run and not run with my setup like the buggy supplier was worried about??? Is that true??

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Buzzfagan
Buggy Driver

Re: Tire / wheel Size

Postby GregR » 13 Fri Jan, 2017 3:49 pm

15x6 wheels are fine. Make sure you have proper backspacing though. 205x60-15 are fine too although they may grab ruts in the road a bit more than a narrower tire.
Are you dead set on BFG tires? There are manufacturers out there with aggressive tread patterns that look good on a buggy. I assume you're building a street buggy
You already have the 15x5 rims. They're just fine. Search a bit for a tread pattern you like. BFG Radial T/As are popular with the buggy crowd, but there are plenty of others to fit your needs.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Buzzfagan » 13 Fri Jan, 2017 5:26 pm

How do you make sure you have proper back spacing? Is that built into the wheel or do you add or modify something?

What other brands do you know of with matching front and back in such a large size discrepancy? I am not set on the BFG's but can't seem to find any others.
Buzzfagan
Buggy Driver

Postby GregR » 13 Fri Jan, 2017 9:48 pm

Check out Falken, continental for a couple.
Some guys also run a 50 series es tire for the rear.
Other options are a 14" rim on the front and 14 or 16 on the rear.
Again backspacing can be your friend. Look at 3.25" backspace.
That seems to move the wheel out enough.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Buzzfagan » 13 Fri Jan, 2017 11:02 pm

Do you think a 15x6 with a 3.25" offset running a 205 60 R15 on the front should be good and not rub on the frame or anywhere else? Pretty sure everything is stock 1961-4.
Buzzfagan
Buggy Driver

Return to Technical Talk