Heads up on registering your "dune buggy" in Texas

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Heads up on registering your "dune buggy" in Texas

Postby boltman » 12 Thu Jan, 2017 8:42 pm

Hey all. I sold a pickup recently, kept the plates and decided to check out Texas DMV website to get the vehicle out of my name. After finishing that I was nosing around and found this tid bit of information. I knew not to call my car a dune buggy at the DMV, but have never seen this in print. Just a heads up to the new builders in the group. Choose your words carefully!! The website is here...

http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-o ... h-no-title

Go to the middle right side of the page and look under "motorist toolbox". Open the PDF named "assembled Vehicle Manual" and you will find this under stripped down vehicles......

When a vehicle has been stripped of a portion of its body to the extent that it loses its
original identity, resulting in the creation of a dune buggy or beach buggy, it may not be
legally operated on Texas streets or roadways as it is ineligible for registration. In
addition, dune buggy-type vehicles are not eligible for title.

Ya'll have a great day and look forward to seeing everyone soon!!
Keith
boltman
Buggy Nut

Re: Heads up on registering your "dune buggy" in Texas

Postby aquavette » 29 Mon May, 2017 7:54 am

That being said, how does your title identify your buggy?
aquavette
Buggy Dude

Re: Heads up on registering your "dune buggy" in Texas

Postby Ken » 29 Mon May, 2017 9:31 am

Aquavette from Lantana... with 3 new posts, only on this rather sensitive subject, with all due respect, I doubt very that you are going to get TMC members to provide specifics on their buggys registration.

Start a build thread, post up details of your buggy and we love pictures. And we hope to see you at a future get together.

Regards,
Ken
Ken
Site Admin

Return to Technical Talk