Awww shucks. (steering box question).

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Awww shucks. (steering box question).

Postby carlos del carpio » 29 Wed Mar, 2006 8:57 pm

Oh, here's the scenario... I THOUGHT I didn't need a steering box. The one I had worked well! Now, Since I'm keeping it, I decided to take it to the bench grinder, with a wire wheel. On the top plate, I loosened the top bolts (4 of 'em) and then the top center nut with aduster thingy.. I wanted the 'gap' to clean the years and years of gunk... Well, I got the edges real good, then the wire wheel caught a paper gasket and not only destroyed it, but flung bearing grease everywhere! (lol)

So, how do I get another gasket (for one)

and how do I take the thing apart to replace it? The bently manual does NOT show it..

Can I clean it, paint it, and have one of you guys do it, if you've done it before??? (of course I would pay..)

:(

Of course, if I'm working with the steering box, we know I'm progressing!!!!!!
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 29 Wed Mar, 2006 10:31 pm

No problem, now you NEED a billet cover. You meant to do that RIGHT? ;-) ;-) ;-)
Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 30 Thu Mar, 2006 12:37 am

I am going to have to buy a new Steering box. Because I have no idea where mine went. (Heck my donor bug only gave me the tunnel thing and a few parts of the rear suspension!) Here is my question... I have replaced the front suspension Spindle to Spindle. I am going to have to buy a new Steering box, should I go ahead and replace the things that go from the box to the wheels. (Sorry, don't know what they are call right now. I am a big Dummy Head!) Or be cheap and sand down & paint the ones I have. In other words do they get old & bent? (itchy I sound Stupid!)
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 30 Thu Mar, 2006 1:39 am

from the steering box, you'll need

steering drop arm,

tie rod, long

tie rod, short

When I bought mine, they came with the tie rod ends.. I guess you can un-do the ends, then roll the bar on a flat surface.. if it's bowed or wobbles, it's junk...

I dunno if they sell the tie-rod ends alone, they may...but for the price, if I remember correctly, it's not one of the most expensive pieces....

Now that I answered YOUR question... gimmie back my thread!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 30 Thu Mar, 2006 1:40 am

If it can be re-built, by someone on this forum, I may consider stripping it and having that powdercoated as well... ;-)
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 30 Thu Mar, 2006 2:44 am

Before you buy a steering box and the tie rods, call me and let me see if I can save you money. Just a hint.
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 31 Fri Mar, 2006 12:18 am

I am litening, I even sent you messages!!!! I am excited to read what you have to say! HeHe
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 07 Fri Apr, 2006 12:20 am

Is your last post directed to me, Faron? If so, I've not recieved any messages.
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 07 Fri Apr, 2006 9:08 am

Yes, it was directed at you. :D I just figured that you were busy and I would tease you a little. 8-) Please let me know what you are talking about! Hummm I have sent a few messages out, and didnt get a responce :? .....I wonder what I am doing wrong.......Hummmmmmm I will try again!
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 07 Fri Apr, 2006 10:42 am

Hey David O, do you re-build steering-gear boxes? If so, I'll take mine apart and get the housing powdercoated....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 07 Fri Apr, 2006 12:28 pm

Carlos,
I don't rebuild steering boxes, thare is not a kit for that, that I know of.
Faron,
Hmmmmmmm!, maybe you pushed the wrong button? LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 07 Fri Apr, 2006 7:03 pm

well, I didn't really mean rebuild, but more like 're-assemble" them....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 07 Fri Apr, 2006 11:32 pm

Yes, I can do that, but the bottom seal has to be good in order for that to work.
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 08 Sat Apr, 2006 11:22 pm

Carlos at what point in the project are you? In other words are you ahead of me?
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 09 Sun Apr, 2006 1:46 pm

I dunno what point I'm at..I'm still needing an engine, and my tranny needs to be blasted and painted... I need to get my wheels powdercoated, and I need tires too. Sheesh,will this ever end? I need a second job just to finish :cry: :cry: :cry:
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 09 Sun Apr, 2006 10:00 pm

HaHaHa YOU & I both! I think we are pretty close!
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 10 Mon Apr, 2006 1:46 am

At this point, I just wanna get it on the road....SOOOOOOOOOOOOO IF any of you folks are upgrading, I'll entertain your price on your stock engines, minimum 1600 and dual port, but Geez, it's better than pushing it! hahah
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 10 Mon Apr, 2006 8:35 pm

That is a great idea Carlos! If you have any used part that are still good....Post um up. You will sell them!
Faron
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk