Body fit problems

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Body fit problems

Postby Buzzfagan » 12 Sat Nov, 2016 4:20 pm

Any ideas on what to do with a problem I encountered on my re-build?? When I placed my Manx style fiberglass body on my chassis since it had been in the elements and apart for so long there are some pretty big gaps in some spots between the bottom of the fiberglass and the chassis/frame/pan. I am starting to prep it for painting and worried that if I get it all painted and then try to install it and put pressure on the frame by screwing it down where the gaps are I am going to run into problems of the fiberglass and /or paint cracking or getting stress cracks and issues?????
Buzzfagan
Buggy Driver

Re: Body fit problems

Postby Ken » 14 Mon Nov, 2016 11:19 am

I'm by far not the best person here to answer this, but I'd think best method would be repairing the gaps and including some reinforcement in the repair. Guess it depends on the amount of damage you're talking about.

If the gaps are not that extensive, maybe bridging them will a metal bar or something similar. Just brainstorming.

Good luck. Keep us posted how you proceed.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Bryan Porter » 15 Tue Nov, 2016 7:36 pm

I have had this problem many times I just bolt it on sometimes you have to use long bolts to get it started and put it in the sun and tighten it down a little at a time and pull it down. Fiberglass body's twist and warp up real easy
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby johber41 » 19 Sat Nov, 2016 7:46 pm

when you pull the body down, don't forget that there is a pretty good size rubber gasket between the body and the pan which will take us some of the space you are talking about.
johber41
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk