Shifting problems

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Shifting problems

Postby johber41 » 09 Fri Sep, 2016 7:39 pm

I have been running an original engine 1200 CC, original trans, original 6V electrical system..etc. Since rebuilding the buggy I have had no use of 1st gear (unless I hold the shifter forward it pops out) but I have rarely needed a gear so low. I start out in 2nd gear and I replaced the clutch in 2009. Now I am experiencing shift problems just trying to get into 2nd gear. I originally had a Hurst shifter but the cable let go and I replaced it with an Empi clone. No problems for the past year until now. I replaced the Empi shifter with an original 1961 beetle shifter and still had the same problem. To best describe the problem, the shift will behave normally and then suddenly as I try to go to 2nd, its as though the access is gone. If I shove it into 1st and then down to 2nd, it seems to return. I just need some thoughts on the possible problems. i have already tried moving the shifter around. I have tried an original beetle shifter (which by the way was like shifting in a bowl of oatmeal), i have already monitored the shift coupler at the nose of the trans and it appears OK.

Possibilities might include;

1). the trans is failing...time for a rebuild
2). the shifter needs better alignment.....not sure to where
3). an adjustment I do not know about
4). any suggestion that comes to mind that I might be able to try.

Thanks guys....john
johber41
Buggyholic

Re: Shifting problems

Postby Bill K » 10 Sat Sep, 2016 7:39 pm

While one would think adjusting the shifter would be easy, it's anything but.

But, I would suggest trying to solve your problem first by adjusting the shifter. Before you do, check out your shifter plate to be sure it's not bent or warped. Likewise, you can't put enough grease in the cup or on the ball.

The method that has worked best for me is to tighten the hold down plate with the shifter plate in place a bit tight, but just enough that the stick will move it when moved to different positions. With that in place put the shifter into first and then back to second. Repeat this a couple of times and then do the final tight down on the plate. And, this may take a couple of repetitions.

Now this is for a stock shifter. I don't know anything about other types.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby johber41 » 11 Sun Sep, 2016 12:48 am

Thanks Bill....I will give that a try...let you know.
johber41
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 11 Sun Sep, 2016 10:20 am

Please do. I sure hope it works.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk