Rear torsion questions

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Rear torsion questions

Postby Buzzfagan » 09 Fri Sep, 2016 9:21 am

Trying to replace my rear spring plates with adjustable plates and new bushings on my Manx style buggy. Last weekend took off the old spring plates and the torsion bars came out with them. Not sure if that is supposed to happen or not but it did. I hammered off the torsion bars.

When I looked into the housing where the torsion bars go there is some dirt and what looks like small dirt size rust debree/grindings in the tube. The whole chassis was pretty rusty and has been disassembled/fixed and I am in the process of rust preventing and sealing it with the KBS 3-4 step process. The torsion bars look like they are in good shape.

My first question is after I clean it out should I spray the inside of where the torsion bars go with the KBS rust sealer system to prevent further rusting in there? Can I "damage" or inhibit anything from working correctly by doing so? If I get the coating in the splines will it affect the fit and function? Is there any downside or risk in doing the rust sealing system in there?

Next, I can't seem to find a picture or representation of what the inside of the torsion housing looks like. What does it look like and how does it function where the torsion bars insert? Do both the right and left side insert into the same female receptacle or do they have their own separate ones in the torsion housing? What gives it the springiness/load/tension?

Next, when reinstalling the torsion bars into the housing (just the housing itself, not the outer part connected to the spring plate) is there any particular way it needs to be put back in there (other than obviously the correct bar and end of bar on the correct side)? Does it have to be rotated in a certain direction? Do you use any lube or other product inside Thor the splines or in the tube at all?

Thank you for your help!
Buzzfagan
Buggy Driver

Re: Rear torsion questions

Postby KIM-P » 25 Sun Dec, 2016 6:32 pm

Wow , no reply in over 3 months???

Here's my take on the your questions.
I see no reason why you cant spray a rust inhibitor into the torsion tubes , you just don't want to get any on the splines. It might make it difficult to reinstall the torsion bars.
Secondly, yes both torsion bars insert into the same spline in the center of the housing.
The torsion bars have a big end and a small end with a greater number of splines on the big end. I forget the exact number of splines but with patients and a angle finder you can adjust the trailing arms to a ride height that you can be happy with. With the car level I set my swing axle trailing arms to 15 degrees to get the axles level and the tires flat on the ground.
I used anti seize on the splines of both my cars ( 67 buggy and a 74 Bug) with no ill effects to date

I'm guessing you already know most of this by now, so good luck on your build
Kim-P
It's EASY.... if you know how.
KIM-P
Buggy Nut

Re: Rear torsion questions

Postby staggerwing » 01 Sun Jan, 2017 9:23 am

No expert on spines but it sounds like the club will have one soon, or two.
Yep, antisieze is your friend almost wherever you go!
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk