Types of grease/etc. do I need?

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Types of grease/etc. do I need?

Postby Buzzfagan » 22 Sun May, 2016 11:18 am

So I am sure this has already been covered numerous times but the more I read the more confused I get. Can I please get some straight forward simple and specific advice on the specific types of grease I need and where each type should be used to totally rebuild my 64 beetle/manx buggy. It is a king pin/link pin swing axle.

I am going to be removing and greasing the whole car. I am doing the whole front end including taking out the leaves and regreasing, replacing the rear spring plate bushings inner and outer and every piece of rubber I can find. Also I will be putting on all new boots, converting to disc brakes and repacking bearings, etc.

I am using red urethane bushings everywhere and I need to know how to grease and install them so they do not squeak down the road. And which type of grease will not break them down. I have even read a suggestion on using anti-seize on them? Do I do that and grease? What type of each? Do I even grease the red urethane "bumpers"and "supports"on the fron trailing arms, back cone shaped ones, transmission mount,etc?

So what specific type of grease and which specific type for each parts of the assembly and how to apply it the correct way would be very helpful. What all do I need to grease as I put together everything?

Also, after it is all installed what type of grease do I use in each of the different zerks? Different type for different parts of the car?

Thank you for your help!
Buzzfagan
Buggy Driver

Re: Types of grease/etc. do I need?

Postby Ken » 23 Mon May, 2016 8:49 am

You may want to consider the use of rubber shift and steering couplers.

Texas Manx Club members have reported urethane coupler driving failures when serious crashes could have occurred.
The urethane couple dries out and becomes very brittle and can literally crumble unexpectedly.
Of course all parts should be monitored for wear, but many feel these particular rubber parts are less likely to cause catastrophic failure.

With that said, many of us still use them, but carry dict tape and bailing wire.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby GregR » 23 Mon May, 2016 11:00 am

A good wheel bearing grease is sufficient for the front end zerk fittings. You don't grease the polyurethane bushings. I wouldn't grease the rubber either, if they're that bad you should replace...with rubber. Like Ken said, front end bushings, steering coupler, shift coupler should be factory items and not urethane. The urethane ones don't hold up well to neither the elements nor the rough, twisty workout the get.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Bill K » 23 Mon May, 2016 6:33 pm

Amen to what Ken and Gregg said about using rubber bushings, especially the steering. If that fails you've got big trouble.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby johber41 » 05 Sun Jun, 2016 4:29 pm

Before I actually joined the group, I read some old threads on the red rubber steering coupler failures and found a better alternative. I was able to replace my original (burnt) cloth coupler with a home-made unit made from an old leather weight lifting belt. I cut two pieces with a hole saw and then laminated them with glue. Been working great.
Attachments
New Steer Cpl 2 frm.JPG
New Steer Cpl 2 frm.JPG (33.76 KiB) Viewed 3502 times
johber41
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk