Seat Mount Supports / Seat Mounts / Position

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Seat Mount Supports / Seat Mounts / Position

Postby Buzzfagan » 19 Thu May, 2016 10:03 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (191.04 KiB) Viewed 4070 times
I need some advice on what to do about seat mounts, what to use for seat mounts, what to use to mount them to for support, and where to position the supports at this point in my build.

I am most likely going to use PRP seats (the Roadster edition, as they seem like they will fit good and are relatively affordable. Unless anyone has any other better suggestions that you like???

In the pictures you will see what I have for a chassis/frame/support. There are two pics of the top and one from the underside. The current bracing horizontal supports and exterior edges are made out of L-shaped steel. I am planning on making floor boards out of steel diamond plate.

What I need advice on is what type/size steel/or other material to use for the supports to eventually mount some sliding seat mounts for the seats?

Also, where should I mount the supports in terms of a front to back position and in terms of under the chassis/frame or on top of the eventual diamond plate floorboards?

Also, should I weld them in place or use some other method like bolts?

I would think under the chassis would be a good place so I can have a clean look on top and so I can go ahead and rust proof and paint the whole chassis right after I install the supports, and then the supports would already be painted and ready to go. Then I would not have to try and weld into my freshly painted surface whether it would be on top or under the chassis structure and frame.

Am I thinking about this right? Are there some measurements/guidelines I can use to go ahead and put in the supports now? I am 5'10 and my son is 6'2" and I need it to fit both of us as best as possible.

Also, which supports would you use?

Thanks in advance!!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (166.1 KiB) Viewed 4070 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (194.96 KiB) Viewed 4070 times
Buzzfagan
Buggy Driver

Re: Seat Mount Supports / Seat Mounts / Position

Postby Bryan Porter » 20 Fri May, 2016 8:14 am

best way in my mind is mock up body and seats so you can set in them and move them around
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 20 Fri May, 2016 8:51 am

I'll Amen what Bryan said.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby staggerwing » 20 Fri May, 2016 11:44 am

Not sure if this link even worked. But if it did, this is what I did for seat mounts. Made them fit the seats. Payed the seats in there, like Bryan and Bill suggested, then figured out where and how high or low the bars needed to be, then just welded them in. So far no one has fallen through the floor! Great, I just jinxed myself..
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 20 Fri May, 2016 1:18 pm

staggerwing wrote:Great, I just jinxed myself..

Or poor Sandy. :shock:
Ken
Site Admin

Postby staggerwing » 22 Sun May, 2016 7:21 am

Payed = Laid in previous post. Just lay those seats in there, sit in the buggy and see where you think they will need to be to make you feel comfortable when you're driving, then brace them accordingly. Once the buggy is on the road, coming back and "tweaking" stuff is a given and you can always come back and make a modification if you want to.

The material for the mounts is 1/2" x 2" flat steel and is drilled and tapped 3/8" in four places for each seat.
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk