Front end / Back end work

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Front end / Back end work

Postby Buzzfagan » 16 Mon May, 2016 2:47 pm

Does anyone know of anywhere or anyone to get some food reliable front end (king pin / link pin / leaves / alignment) and maybe back end (spring plates / bushings / torsion bars) work done in the Austin, Tx. or surrounding areas?
Buzzfagan
Buggy Driver

Re: Front end / Back end work

Postby johber41 » 16 Mon May, 2016 10:34 pm

There is a great place in Houston......he pressed my King pins in last summer. Maybe a road trip?
johber41
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 17 Tue May, 2016 1:30 pm

I've heard mixed reviews of both Kenny Hill Auto Werks and Austin VeeDub. I've never used either for service, so consider that. But seems if you know enough about what is required and discuss the repairs before, you could get a feel for their ability to meet your expectations.

I know the Austin aircooler.org members include several very capable persons that may be willing to help you out for a couple beers or a few greenbacks. Just thinking out loud.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Buzzfagan » 17 Tue May, 2016 10:11 pm

Definitely would take someone up on that. I can provide either to a willing participant. Thanks.

I called some of the recommended shops and they all seem to be way too busy to really take on any work. Telling me like 2 month lead times. They don't seem too interested.
Buzzfagan
Buggy Driver

Postby Bill K » 18 Wed May, 2016 10:23 pm

If they act like they don't need your work, then you don't need to spend your money with them.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby SergioF » 24 Tue May, 2016 10:24 am

I'm also looking for a place that can do an alignment. What's the name of the place in Houston?
SergioF
Buggy Driver

Postby Ken » 01 Wed Jun, 2016 11:09 am

This is copied text from a post on the Aircoolers.org forum.

I have some spare time, anyone need some work done to their VW?
So I have some spare time right now and was looking to make some spare $$

Anyone need some work done?

I would prefer that the car be brought here to my house in Cedar Park, but for relatively easy stuff or getting quotes on big jobs I can travel.
I can do just about anything as most of you already know. No internal transmission work though and I dont currently have a welder...and I'd prefer to stay away from vanagons and cluster f*ck late bay projects. But beggers cant be choosers right?

Engines, tune ups, brakes, wiring, seat covers, front ends, raise and lower cars, drop spindles, disc brake conversions, etc.
I can supply most all the parts myself if need be.

Email me if you have questions or would like something done. Prices will be super cheap compared to shop rates.
vwhornbuttons@gmail.com
Ken
Site Admin

Postby johber41 » 03 Fri Jun, 2016 12:30 am

the shop in Houston is Smith Foreign Auto Repair and its owned and run my Donny Smith, a member of the Bay Area VW Club. I have attached the web link for you. Very fair man with great prices.

http://smithforeignauto.com/
johber41
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk