front end beam

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

front end beam

Postby carlos del carpio » 28 Tue Mar, 2006 1:34 am

just a quick question..maybe not so quick..

I have a ball joint beam with center adjusters..

I run the stack of torsion spring bars thru the front beam housing..

and line up the center recess spot with the front beam adjuster set screw....

NOW (sheesh) when I look at the recesses for the torsion arms, The arms are now pointed UP!!!

So far, the only way to have the arms where they should be is to NOT use the center recess spot as a starting point...... then it lines up perfectly.... I can still bolt up the center section, and it's held together with the 'teeth' of the adjuster thingy... thoughts?

puuhhlease!

i wanna finish this buggy BEFORE the Armageddon....
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 28 Tue Mar, 2006 9:27 am

WHere is the center adjuster, centered, up or down...maybe that's the issue. You aren't tightening down the center adjuster before it's all together are you? Just throwing out ideas.....
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby MURZ » 28 Tue Mar, 2006 7:17 pm

Carlos, the adjusters have an internal set screw at 12 o clock if the external set screw is at 9 oclock. Difficult to explain, call me if need be:
985-807-6879. I will be up late tonight working on a project for work.
MURZ

wrong

right
Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 28 Tue Mar, 2006 9:39 pm

Here are the adjusters I have

http://www2.cip1.com/PhotoGallery.asp?P ... argerphoto

Now, it appears I use the small set screw to clamp things tight (things being the leaf springs)

then I use the large set screw, up or down, for my hieght..the bolt clamps on that piece with the teeth and holds things in place!!!!

am I right?

:?
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 28 Tue Mar, 2006 10:27 pm

yes you are right. You have to slide the leaves into place without the small set screw in place, rotate the leaf stack so the little set screw hole is visible through the slot in the beam, install the small set screw and tighten and then rotate the leaves back up and install the larger set screw. Got it?
In your supplied pic the large set screw goes in the 10 oclock and the small set screw in the 2 o clock.
MURZ
Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 29 Wed Mar, 2006 11:25 am

saweeeeeeeet! progress continues.... :lol: :lol:
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 30 Thu Mar, 2006 2:24 am

U-P-D-A-T-E!!!

It's an empi beam, for reference..there is NO internal setscrew. Nope, not at all. Now, hear me out on this..the space is so tight, I have to insert the leaves one at a time.... they won't shift at all, within the adjuster... sooo, has anyone heard of this scenario??? :cry:
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 30 Thu Mar, 2006 2:40 am

Yea, I have, about the adjusters. It's all of the beams that are that way, you do have to insert them one at a time. That is normal.
I've been real tired lately so if I'm wrong, overlook it. But if memory serves, it may be that you have the torsion bars in upside down. I think that you will find that one side of the beam has the nuts on the top of the arms,and the other side has them on the bottom. If the bars are installed wrong, it would make the arms point up and not down.
I think that I'm right about this, but I will look at the beam in my bug in the morning and let you know.
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 30 Thu Mar, 2006 3:42 am

well, no big deal, I can flip 'em over..but if one outer-recess is up, and one is pointing down, when you flip 'em over... one will still be up, and one will be down..

since the torsion bars are packed tight within the center adjuster, and the big bolt holds it in place, how important is the center internal set-screw?
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 30 Thu Mar, 2006 9:23 am

When you put the torsion bars in the beam, and they are right, the recess in the bars will be facing down on the passenger side and up on the drivers side. The set screw in the adjuster holds all of the bars in place in the beam. It is importent.
While putting the springs in place, I always put the adjusting screw in the adjuster, but only enough to keep it located in line with the slot. After the springs are in, you remove the adjusting screw and turn the assembly enough to put the set screw in. Then rotate the spring assembly enough to put adjusting screw back in. You will find that the arms will be pointing in the right position when this is done. I hope that this helps.
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 30 Thu Mar, 2006 11:08 am

Man, I just had this front beam powdercoated... there is NO INTERNAL set screw :( :( :(

I'm going to see if it's possible that the external (big) set-screw not only holds the nut and plate in place, but also lines up with the internal recess on the torsion bars....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 30 Thu Mar, 2006 4:15 pm

I just opened up one of the adjusters that I have here, and there IS a set screw in the adjuster, it is 90 degrees off from the large bolt that sets the adjuster. You have to take the big bolt out and twist the adjuster enough to see the set screw, and then back the set screw out some to get the bars in place. Once they are in place, the tighten the set screw and rotate the adjuster until the large hole comes up. Put the large bolt and spacer back in and put the arms back on the beam!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 30 Thu Mar, 2006 6:19 pm

Yeah, I had one arm removed, and rotated the other arm 360 degrees, no adjuster inside..well, I'll double and triple check.. I'll keep ya posted!!!!

thanks again
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

beam

Postby Aquabuggy » 30 Thu Mar, 2006 9:03 pm

Carlos, My beam is the same way. I got it from kustom 1 and the big adjusting screw holds everything in place, there is no internal set screw.
Aquabuggy
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 31 Fri Mar, 2006 2:35 am

yess! Ok, I went ahead and swapped it, and when using the center adjuster, the springs hang waaay down...buuuuuuuuuut, when I lift it, to adjust the 'slack' of the leaves, it stays level! YAY! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd buy you guys a beer, but I don't drink beer..it's to mild! lol! ;-)
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk