HELP!!! Change to disc brakes? Trouble w/ my drums matching

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

HELP!!! Change to disc brakes? Trouble w/ my drums matching

Postby Buzzfagan » 16 Sat Apr, 2016 9:43 pm

I bought a 1963-4 Manx style buggy and am in the initial stages of restoring it. I am new to this so everything is a little blurry right now and I have tried to do a lot of research on this topic but I just can't seem to get anywhere. Just keep going in circles. The problem I have is that (what I did not realize when I bought it) different wheels on my rear and both drums and lugs are kind of messed up. I also think I have two different kind/type/hole pattern or size of drums on the rear. On one side there is an adapter that allows a different mounting pattern and on the other the lugs are loose on the back of the drum. So, when I found this out I figured I could just buy me some new drums, mount some new wheels and move on. But now looking into it I have been told I have to make sure I get the right size drum for my year of buggy and make sure the size of it matches the drum brakes I have. I have no idea how to figure all that out and don't want to buy new drums for $90 each to find out they don't work with my drums and setup on my buggy. Also, will it then be hard to find a good choice of wheels for the 1963-4 bolt pattern?

I am lost. I don't want to have to make the large investment in whole new brake assemblies if there is a cheaper way that will work great. PLEASE HELP with any ideas you can for me or tell me what you think I should do!!

After doing some research I am thinking about converting everything to disc brakes. Just looked at appletreeauto.com and they have what's called a "Chevy" kit which gives you a better variety of wheels to choose from so you could do regular VW style and also more commonly found wheels like found online or around town (I thought that may save some money later on??). I posted a shot of one of the kits for the rear, but could not post the front disc kit as I can only upload 3 photos.

My brakes may need some attention anyhow, which will surely cost me some more money, but I am not sure how much they seem to be in pretty good shape and the guy I bought it from said he just had reworked them.

Does anyone have any experience with doing this type of conversion with this "Chevy" type kit?

Anyone know of anywhere else that sells these types of kits?

Anyone have any experience converting their VW beetle from the drum style to disc brakes/system? Are there any unexpected things or problems you can run across doing this.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (195.97 KiB) Viewed 3548 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (143.69 KiB) Viewed 3548 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (174.94 KiB) Viewed 3549 times
Buzzfagan
Buggy Driver

Re: HELP!!! Change to disc brakes? Trouble w/ my drums match

Postby GregR » 17 Sun Apr, 2016 10:48 am

Buzz...

First, let me share a link for posting pictures http://www.texasmanxclub.com/bboard/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5
This should give you some help on posting picture, the beauty part is that you can show a thumbnail, but click for a larger image.

Now your brakes. You have what are called "wide 5 " drums. Used on earlier VW's.
VW's use lug bolts that run into a tapped drum. Not lug studs and lug nuts as are common on other cars.
The PO used an adapter, presumably allowing him to mount 5 lug rims in a Chevy or Ford bolt pattern. (4 3/4 or 4 1/2 bolt circle.)
I haven't seen adapters mounted quite like they are on yours. It appears they use a short bolt from the rear and then nut on the face. My concern would be if the tapped hole for the original lug bolt has been buggered up. So I think you're on the right track with replacing the brakes. Disc brakes are fine, I had them on mine. You could also go cheaper and replace backing plates, internal parts and drums. If you want to go with a Chevy pattern though I wold consider the discs, drilled for the Chevy 4 3/4 pattern. They can be expensive so look around at the different on-line shops (I know where are shops in Austin and San Antonio, just can't think of their names.) Shipping can be a monster too as they are heavy.
You should have a Link Pin front end and swing axle so make sure you get parts for that type suspension. Look close and be sure what you have since these are 50+ year old machines that have been "upgraded" through the years.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Buzzfagan » 17 Sun Apr, 2016 6:51 pm

Thanks for the tips. If I wanted to just get some new drums is there a certainty as to which size/width I would get? I have read some posts that you have to get a certain for for different model years because the width of somethings in the bake system changes from year to year and it is hard to tell if a PO had changed them from the original??

The recent PO had told me he had just done some service on the brakes for what that is worth. So, if I did not have to change them and could just get new drums and be done that would be great.

I am also getting a lot of different answers on the disc brakes. I was out at the show in Fredericksberg today and heard everything from:
1) if I put disc brakes on all 4 wheels then there would not be enough "power" to make them work so I would actually lose breaking power unless I added son $300 master cylinder or something to power them
2) the same guy also told me to just put discs on the front since that is where 85% of your breaking power comes from
3) heard from some others that if you put discs on the front (with or without putting them in the back) that they would lock up easily and be too much power since the buggy is too light

Really confusing which way to go??

As a side note, are the front drums and back drums the exact same drum size/type?
Buzzfagan
Buggy Driver

Postby GregR » 17 Sun Apr, 2016 9:21 pm

Yes it is confusing.
1) there is plenty of oomph from a stock master cylinder for disc brakes. They worked fine on my Manx
2) He's right that the majority of braking comes from the front. Which is why it's important to have a good balance between front and rear.
3) They likely would lock up in front quicker in back for a couple of reasons. 1 less weight on the front and smaller tires, even though the buggy pitches forward slightly when braking. And most have larger tires, diameter and width and need more braking power to make them lock up.
4 wheel disc brakes with a proportioning valve will help create a bias toward the rear for more even braking.

The PO should be able to tell you what year the brakes are if he just worked on them. It can make a difference with parts. If you can find a local shop, they can help you determine what you have.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Return to Technical Talk