Rear Suspension!

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Rear Suspension!

Postby Faron » 28 Tue Mar, 2006 12:37 am

I am at the point of putting back together the rear suspension. But I have to be honest, I am very intimidated. I have NO ideas as the where to start. (I know that I will sand them down, and repaint them but....) Like I have said before, I did not take it apart. I also talked to the guys at Buggy warehouse & they didn't help either. In fact they even made it more scary. You have to be careful because that thing can come back and bite you. I really need some help here, I need some photos of how to do this. Or something! Can anyone give me some reassuring thoughts?
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 28 Tue Mar, 2006 12:41 am

oh pshaw..was I supposed to e-mail you pics?? :oops:
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 28 Tue Mar, 2006 12:48 am

No, I thought you said that you were going to write a story or something. I don't remember....Hummm didn't you say that you were going to come up to mu house and teach me how to put it all back together?

If you would email me photos and a short how to it would be GREAT! I will owe you a beer or a coke when we finally meet face to face!
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby buggyryan » 28 Tue Mar, 2006 12:49 am

check with david o, faron i think he wrote an article or something in the tech section or somewhere i rememebr seeing it.
buggyryan
Buggy Nut

Postby Faron » 28 Tue Mar, 2006 1:05 am

I have looked all over, where did you see it?
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 28 Tue Mar, 2006 8:59 am

If the rear end of the car is IRS, then it is simple. There are three "spacers". One is long, (it goes between the bearings) One is real thin, (it goes onto the stub axle with the inner flange facing the flange of the stub axle) and the other goes on the outer side of the outside bearing, with the outflange on the spacer facing the bearing!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby mkparker » 28 Tue Mar, 2006 2:35 pm

Try these from the VW Trike Site
mkparker
Buggy Driver

Postby Faron » 28 Tue Mar, 2006 11:19 pm

What all should I replace?
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby buggyryan » 28 Tue Mar, 2006 11:21 pm

your brain
buggyryan
Buggy Nut

Postby buggyryan » 28 Tue Mar, 2006 11:30 pm

awwww faron dont be mad now and get all quiet.... i was just kiddin maybe
buggyryan
Buggy Nut

Postby David O' » 29 Wed Mar, 2006 1:24 am

Normally the only things that need replacement on the IRS rear axle set or the bearings, and the seals. All of the other parts normally just get cleaned up and the reinstalled!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 29 Wed Mar, 2006 11:25 am

take a look at your bushings, too! Might as well replace them, instead of a re-assembly then discovering... oops! :lol:
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 30 Thu Mar, 2006 12:56 am

I went into Buggy Warehouse, and talked to Lee. He set me up with all new bushings, bearings, seals, and the rear shocks. From what I can see it is not that big a deal to put all this stuff back together. The only part that I can see as a problem is putting the Shock on! Is that where the strap come into play? I started working on it, I will post photos of the finished product as soon a everything is done!
I always feel stupid or out of place when I walk in there. Does anyone else feel that way. They are not jerks, buy they do look at me like I am stupid sometimes. Does any one else feel that way?
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 30 Thu Mar, 2006 1:34 am

Last time I went in there, I had to wave a pocket full of cash to get their attention.... I became a 'last priority' when I returned some items, which they SAID I COULD IF they didn't work for my applications.... but, I think I was the first person to actually have a reciept from them, cause they were like

"well, do you have a reciept?"

"sure do, here it is in my Project Folder"

"oh..um..er.......OK"

:lol:

A good way to describe the place is 'get what you want NOW'.. if you want it or need it now, you can get it there, in stock, but it's gonna cost you a bit more $$$$.. if you can wait, order it online and save a buck or ten...

it is a scary neighborhood, too....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 30 Thu Mar, 2006 4:38 pm

Yea, you should see the looks I get pulling up in my MINI or my wife's BMW. Little do they know that the only way that I can afford one is because I get SCREAMING Deals on them! Ohhh and I don't have the typical I an better then you BMW Attitude either.
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby JohnS » 10 Mon Apr, 2006 12:53 pm

Faron, it will not be difficult for you to rebuild your rear suspension at all. In fact you could get Buggyryan over there to do it for you. He could most likely do it blindfolded.
JohnS
Buggy Dude

Postby Faron » 10 Mon Apr, 2006 8:32 pm

Hummmm Sounds like you know Ryan pretty well. You wouldn't happen to be his brother would you? He is always happy to help, its just had to get both schedules, and the weather to hold up! HaHaHa I think I have it down for the most part. I will take a few photos when I am done...It seems like people can tell if I did it right just by looking at a photo. Someday I will be like that! LEARN LEARN LEARN
HaHaHa
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 10 Mon Apr, 2006 8:54 pm

Ohhh and I don't have the typical I an better then you BMW Attitude either.

You know the diiference between a porupine and a BMW. The BMW has the pricks on the inside. Sorry, faron could not resist. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby blackthree4me » 10 Mon Apr, 2006 8:59 pm

OK heres my two cents
told you this before but Im gona tell you again
GO GET A HAYNES MANUAL !!!!!
the cars we work on are very easy to understand as long as you have something to guide you.
there is no way just the web or just the book is gonna cut it
it takes both
the chilton manual is OK as is the bently manuals
but for me the haynes is the best
save yourself some grief spend the 14 or so and get the book you will wonder how you thought you could do it with out it
blackthree4me
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Postby JohnS » 11 Tue Apr, 2006 8:06 am

Yeah Faron you figured me out. Blackthree is right though, if you don’t have a repair manual go get one. Haynes is a good start but The Bently manuals are the best you can get in my opinion. I have a Bently, Haynes, Chilton and a John Muir how to keep your Volkswagen alive book and even a few other misc. ones. Books are cheap compared to the frustration that can come up when you are having trouble working on something. I say get them all, more often that not one will have the picture showing that one view you need to understand what you are trying to figure out when the other book does not. Plus books are a lot more convenient to use when you have parts all around you vs. getting up cleaned up and looking on the computer.
JohnS
Buggy Dude

Postby carlos del carpio » 11 Tue Apr, 2006 9:18 am

GO GET A HAYNES MANUAL !!!!!
the chilton manual is OK as is the bently manuals
but for me the haynes is the best

Really? You think the Haynes beats the Bentley???????????

With me, it's Bentley first, Muir's book second, VW magazines third, then Haynes... I guess I like it when everything is explained, from component explosion charts, to component tolerances and dimentions, etc...

Interestin!
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 11 Tue Apr, 2006 9:13 pm

I have John Muirs book, and I will look into the rest pretty quick. Thank you for the advice. But after I got into it...it all seems like a lego set. If you have it all there you can figure it out for the most part. Its not nearly as hard as I thought. I just need to learn who & who not to talk to at Buggy Warehouse. I am just going to jump in with both feet!!!
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby blackthree4me » 12 Wed Apr, 2006 7:29 pm

I guess I like it when everything is explained, from component explosion charts, to component tolerances and dimentions, etc...

tolerances, VW, ha what tolerances, lol
:lol:
No I was realy refering to the chilton manual as a last resort
I own the john Mhure. hes right its for idiots. cool art work
(if your on acid while working on you VW :D
I have seen bits and pieces of the bently but dont own it as a whole
I guess I need to get one before I say its no good LOL
so far the haynes has had everything I ever needed for my project
minus the rear IRS exploded view and for that I went to the web had it within the hour
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 12 Wed Apr, 2006 9:44 pm

You know the diiference between a porupine and a BMW. The BMW has the pricks on the inside. Sorry, faron could not resist.

Hummm my wife drives the BMW Murz, I drive the MINI! HAHAHAHA(What are you trying to say about my wife huh huh!!! HaHaHaHa
Faron
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk