need brake line help

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

need brake line help

Postby bobaganoosh » 16 Thu Mar, 2006 9:53 pm

I am in the process of running brake lines and it's been real hell

has any one used the vinyl brake line kit with compression fittings?

I have it and a stainless kit as well and there doesn't seem to be enough fittings to make the brakes connect together.

here's what I have so far.
front brakes are almost connected ( I also used braided lines for the flexible lines) but I have three t's in the front because of the park lock (instead of the e-brake handle) I have to put the brake switch in the front so the brake lights don't stay on while the park lock is on.

I can't seem to find any fittings at any autoparts store that fit any of the t's or braided lines. is there any place out there where I can buy just compression fittings that will fit any of the original brake parts such as drums or braided lines.

it seems that 1/4 inch is to big and 1/8 inch is to. 3/8 seems to fit well but I can't find any 3/8 by 3/8 comp.

somebody help me before I go sane.

mike
It aint for show, but it sho will go.
bobaganoosh
Buggy Nut

Postby carlos del carpio » 17 Fri Mar, 2006 2:06 am

Isn't it a metric size??? Also, I think it has something called 'double crimp', I think........
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 17 Fri Mar, 2006 9:48 am

I finally got tired of my park lok leaking and went back to a stock setup. Also it's a bit reassuring that there's a mechanical brake...they do call it an emergency brake for a reason LOL
Another thing to consider is, if you're using the park lok as a parking brake....just what would happen if there's a pressure loss?
If you're using the parl lok as a way to shorten the front to rear brake line, the loop really isn't that big and hides well under the seat...just my 2 cents. :)
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby richard king » 18 Sat Mar, 2006 4:54 am

All i do is go to the auto parts store and get two break lines and a cuping to run to the back. it works good i dont rember what sizes they are but it is metric.
richard king
Buggy Driver

Postby bobaganoosh » 18 Sat Mar, 2006 7:36 pm

thanks richard

I got what I need but here's the next question, do I need to teflon all the fittings or do they seat with out it

thanks
mike
bobaganoosh
Buggy Nut

Postby carlos del carpio » 18 Sat Mar, 2006 7:56 pm

nooooooooooo teflon! (use it dry, dry, dry...but clean) remember the threads are purty delicate!!!
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby bobaganoosh » 18 Sat Mar, 2006 8:18 pm

what about on the park lock? since it has fittings in it but don't seat to the bottom of the lock itself

mike
bobaganoosh
Buggy Nut

Postby bobaganoosh » 19 Sun Mar, 2006 11:26 am

buehler

buehler

anyone know the answer to this one.

the fittings to the park lock don't fit to the bottom of the make up so which kind of fitting would you recommend.

mike
bobaganoosh
Buggy Nut

Postby David O' » 19 Sun Mar, 2006 2:21 pm

There are two styles of fittings on part locks, but they are neither one the same as the metric fittings on the standard brake lines. I would get in touch with the people you got the lock from, and go with what they recomend. At this point, that is about your only choice!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk