To Fuse Block or not to Fuse Block?

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

To Fuse Block or not to Fuse Block?

Postby johber41 » 28 Tue Jan, 2014 1:38 pm

Hello technical wizards, I am using this terrible weather to make some much needed improvements to my buggy. One of the issues has always been the terrible wiring job done by the original builder which included twisted wires and black friction tape. The 6 volt system originally had wipers, headlights and tail lights, and a 6v Delco radio. I have added brake lights, turn signals, and some dash lights ( speedometer only), and a 12v radio with a power converter. The car is absent a fuse block but I did find something that I believe acts as one. Everything that I added since taking the car over included installing in-line blade fuses ranging from 5 amp to 10 amp and crimped and soldered blade connectors. The systems I added are all fused and have a general hot lead to the battery. Do I need a fuse block? I am the kind of person that feels better about things being in order and the electrical stuff in this car is not. Any suggestions?
Last edited by johber41 on 23 Sun Mar, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johber41
Buggyholic

Re: To Fuse Block or not to Fuse Block?

Postby ScottR » 28 Tue Jan, 2014 3:54 pm

When I rewired mine, I put in a wire block or fuse box, GM style. That way everything is right in one place and I know where it goes. I think it looks cleaner under the dash. Although, there are still a bunch of wires, that I did not expect.
ScottR
Buggy Nut

Postby GregR » 28 Tue Jan, 2014 4:09 pm

Fuse block. And if you convert your lights, etc to 12 volt bulbs you can make that upgrade too. 12 v alternator, starter. The wiring really doesn't care. Wire in some relays for your headlights, horn, etc.
Here's a link to a string on TheSamba.com about rewiring a buggy http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=564769&start=0
It's not hard, but there a some good kits out there too, such as from Rebel Wiring or Highway 15. I used a fuse block from Painless Wiring. It's nice, but over kill. On the Samba string pay close attention to what Murzi has to say. His was VERY clean and simple. He lurks on this board from time to time.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby johber41 » 28 Tue Jan, 2014 4:14 pm

I have always believed in doing it right the first time, but, I really do not know what they thought was "doing it right" back in 1966 when they changed the 61 beetle into the buggy. I have changed much of the old wiring using blade connectors and shrink wrap insulators. I used multi-slot connectors and wiring (taken from the Mrs' old dishwasher) but I want to upgrade to a fuse block like you did Scott just to be able to chase down problems when they arise. Did you just get a small GM block from the scrap yard, or did you order something special?

Thanks Scott

John
johber41
Buggyholic

Postby johber41 » 28 Tue Jan, 2014 4:16 pm

Thanks Greg...I will check it out!

John B
johber41
Buggyholic

Postby Bryan Porter » 28 Tue Jan, 2014 5:10 pm

Rebel harness is great
Look at a wire diagram on samba for a bug if it's not there you don't need it.
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby johber41 » 28 Tue Jan, 2014 8:39 pm

Thanks Bryan....that Samba string Greg turned me on to was very informative and they mentioned the Rebel kits a bunch. As I accessed the 'build strings" and it was easy to see why they picked those kits. My wiring looks complicated, but it really is not. I used a bunch of appliance connections and wires, so, the color code is out the door! But I can still access all the in-coming power and maybe start changing things there with a fuse block distribution point. I really liked the way the Samba builders set up their negative connections by incorporating a terminal block with a main lead from the block to the chassis. Very nice idea!

Thank you sirs.
johber41
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 29 Wed Jan, 2014 7:34 am

I picked up a 10 blade fuse box and an assortment of BLUE wire from JCWhitney , when I updated Crazy Alice from the stock fuses.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby johber41 » 29 Wed Jan, 2014 6:17 pm

I will take a look at the JC Whitney catalog...thanks Ken
johber41
Buggyholic

Postby ScottR » 29 Wed Jan, 2014 10:25 pm

For my fuse box, I searched online for one and a local company had a small GM fuse box with a bunch of GM fuses so I counted how many connections I would need and got it there. Sorry, I don't remember the store name but it is a local store here.

I would say that you are on the right path with the advice so far.
ScottR
Buggy Nut

Postby buggieBob » 13 Thu Feb, 2014 4:48 pm

I went to the boat place and got one it works nicely and is easy to hock-up
My name is Bobby and I'm a buggy-aholic
buggieBob
Buggy Nut

Postby Bill K » 15 Sat Feb, 2014 11:25 am

Where in the world have you been Bobby?
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby johber41 » 19 Wed Feb, 2014 11:38 pm

I was lucky and found a small fuse block on the shelf at Standard Auto Parts. It cost about $12 bucks and is the perfect fit. I was also lucky to have a light-mount from an old appliance that works great for my block mount. It has just the right angle.
johber41
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk