Towing with Tow Bar Problems

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Towing with Tow Bar Problems

Postby RobertB » 09 Fri Aug, 2013 11:46 am

I hooked up the new towbar and gave her a test pull. Seemed OK until I made turns then the front tires of the buggy squealed (squeeked) as if they were being dragged or slid sideways. Once I got straight again, the noise went away.
It is as if the front wheels aren't tracking, or turning, to follow the car. At least I think they are supposed to turn with the tow car?
Does anyone know whats going on, sure would hate to miss the Round Up because of this.

thanks,
Bob

RobertB
Buggy Nut

Re: Towing with Tow Bar Problems

Postby Ken » 09 Fri Aug, 2013 12:02 pm

Your wheels should be free enough to turn with the tow vehicle. You're not locking your steering are you? If your not then your steering must be tight. What's your front end setup, stock?
Ken
Site Admin

Postby RobertB » 09 Fri Aug, 2013 7:11 pm

Ken,

I should of mentioned that in my post, but yes the wheels are totally free to turn, if they wanted to. The transmission is in neutral and emergency brake is off and the front end is stock.
RobertB
Buggy Nut

Postby Ken » 13 Tue Aug, 2013 9:12 am

As light as the front end is, this is not an uncommon issue. If your front end has been worked on, new ball joints etc, it could work out with time, as parts break in. Adding weight to the front of the car can help, ie... the weight of a full tank of fuel can make a difference. There are some out there who will not use a tow bar for this very reason. There are others who use them regularly without any problem.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby RobertB » 22 Thu Aug, 2013 4:57 pm

I modified the Tow bar by cutting and rewelding it to create a 6" offset, so it now pulls parallel to the ground and not upwards. Unfortunately this did not solve the problem, my front wheels still squeak.
I guess my buggy is not meant to be pulled by a tow bar.

So, after much thought, I finally solved the problem. . . . . . . I now own a trailer!

Anybody want to buy a tow bar CHEAP!
RobertB
Buggy Nut

Return to Technical Talk