Nagging oil leak

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Nagging oil leak

Postby boltman » 22 Mon Jul, 2013 8:08 pm

Evening everyone.

I am assembling a buggy and the owner swapped me a running engine for the one in the buggy we weren't too sure about. After finally getting the engine in the car and starting it, there was an oil leak between the flywheel and block. I went down to Qualitat and picked up a new (German) seal and put it in (oil on the inside dry on the outside). There was an ever so slight groove (my fingernail would not catch in it) on the flywheel so back together we go. Started the engine still leaking oil in the same place. Next weekend went back to Doug's and told him what happened. He suggested a new flywheel. I bought a new one (made in China) and another seal. This time I put a thin film of RTV silicone around the outside of the seal and was surprised to find I could seat the seal with my fingers. Put on the new flywheel. Started it up. No leaks. This past weekend, I took a few trips around the neighborhood and when I got back and put it in the garage overnight, I found a sizable puddle under the bell housing and a spot about the size of a softball under the breather tube. I do not have a hose between the air cleaner and the oil fill, but felt that might help with the breather problem some. I also read that if you have enough end play to see with the naked eye it was too much. I was wondering if too much end play will cause the seal to leak around the flywheel.

Any experiences you all have had would be appreciated!!

Thanks!!!!
Keith
boltman
Buggy Nut

Re: Nagging oil leak

Postby johber41 » 22 Mon Jul, 2013 9:07 pm

Hey Keith, what weight oil are you using? How old and what size is the engine? I had a number of small leaks from the push rod tubes, rear seal, breather tube, valve covers..etc. I was able to fix a number of them with replacing seals. I was also schooled by the guys in the forum who suggested that I could do better with a thicker oil. I was running 10W-30 and when I switched to 20W-50, many of the small leaks stopped! I am running a 50 year old 1200 CC, 40 horse, single port-engine with most of the parts original. The heavier oil seemed to help me! I have also learned that a small leak here and there is not a huge concern with these very forgiving engines. Hope that helps!

John
johber41
Buggyholic

Postby boltman » 22 Mon Jul, 2013 11:46 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I am using 20w 50 Castrol. As for the engine well..I got it from Rick Leddon. It was in his garage and he was preparing to pull a HP engine in his daily driver and replace it with this one. It's a 1300 block with dual port heads. When I replaced the oil cooler I found .020 stamped on the top of the block (maybe bored 020?) anyway it has a weber 2 bbl progressive carb, 009 distributor, and EMPI header with a quiet pack muffler. My guess is its bits and pieces from here and there. I have never owned a buggy before so I have no benchmark, but this thing is really quick. Lots of bottom end torque. Anyway that's really all I know about the engine since I haven't been into it.

Can't wait to meet you guys. Man I have a LOT to learn!!

Thanks again.

Keith
boltman
Buggy Nut

Postby Bill K » 23 Tue Jul, 2013 10:42 pm

If your engine doesn't have an oil puddle under it, it's not a real VW engine. :D
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 24 Wed Jul, 2013 12:28 am

The late model flywheels have an internal oring...did you install one?? The other thing, or couple of things is the seal does not sit flush with the case but instead is driven in past the edge of the case. Another thing that can cause leaks is not oiling the lip of the new seal. Couple of spins on a dry seal and leak city. The last thing is that endplay has to be checked every time you change a flywheel. The tool is cheap or you can make one with a harbor freight dial indicator and a long bolt.

Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby boltman » 24 Wed Jul, 2013 9:55 pm

I put engine oil on a new o ring and installed it in the flywheel. When I installed the seal, I put a thin layer of rtv silicone on the sealing surface and was surprised I could push the seal in with my fingers. It was snug but I expected it to be a tighter fit and I stopped pushing when it was flush with th case. I have a dial indicator but did not check the end play. Mine is one of those with a magnetic base, but if it doesn't work I will make one like yours. Do you use pry bars on the flywheel and belt pulley to move the crank back and fourth? I am going to run to Qualitat Friday or Saturday am and pick up another seal and an assortment of shims. I read in the forums at the Samba some guys said drive it a while and sometimes it will quit leaking, but the end play is nagging me enough to pull it back out and have another look see.

Thanks for the input.

I am going to have to buy you guys a burger and beer (or tea) when I see you!!!
boltman
Buggy Nut

Return to Technical Talk