Oil Pump failure

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Oil Pump failure

Postby starrfisherman » 07 Fri Jun, 2013 10:30 am

I had an odd thing happen yesterday when I changed the oil on my buggy. After draining the oil, cleaning the oil screen and changing the filter, I started the engine and had no oil pressure. Went back and checked everything and found nothing wrong. So, I pulled the oil pump off and found the gear was spinning on the shaft from the cam. What the heck caused this? So, I have a new oil pump on order and hope all goes well. Has anyone else run into anything like this?
Herb Fish
starrfisherman
Buggy Driver

Re: Oil Pump failure

Postby staggerwing » 07 Fri Jun, 2013 2:52 pm

staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 13 Thu Jun, 2013 12:25 pm

So did you find what the problem was yet?
Ken
Site Admin

Postby starrfisherman » 13 Thu Jun, 2013 6:06 pm

I found a 6mm flat washer in the pump. I guess it got in between the gears and caused the main gear to spin on the shaft. I am now trying to figure out how this washer got past the screen and into the pump. I cleaned everything up and made sure there was nothing else in the oil passages. Installed a new oil pump and everything seems to be ok. Will now go out and drive the heck out of it.
Herb
starrfisherman
Buggy Driver

Postby johber41 » 13 Thu Jun, 2013 11:03 pm

Hey Herb, Had the same kind of thing happen to me where I found a square nut lodged into the head of the no.1 cylinder. I do not think that there is a square nut application anywhere on the engine, but, it was in there just the same! Scotty must have beamed the washer into your pump from the Enterprise!

John
johber41
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk