Exhaust gaskets

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Exhaust gaskets

Postby will » 25 Mon Feb, 2013 7:47 pm

I have the Empi exhaust in the attached picture. I have removed the system to clean and paint, and am trying to figure out what exhaust gaskets I need. I have a 1972 dual port engine. I have seen both 1 3/8 and 1 1/2 gaskets. Best I can tell, the ID on the exhaust port on the head is 1 1/4, outside exhaust pipe is 1 1/2. IIRC, tubing is measured OD. Thus my confusion. One other question. Seems the exhaust heat risers have a small orifice gasket on one side. I've seen some confusion on the internet as to which side the small gasket goes on, but I think the consensus is left, or driver's side. Is that correct?
Attachments
Empi exhaust.jpg
Empi exhaust.jpg (101.24 KiB) Viewed 1946 times
will
Buggy Builder

Re: Exhaust gaskets

Postby RobertB » 26 Tue Feb, 2013 11:09 am

You might want to call EMPI themselves. I found their customer service will bent over backwards to help. 714-446-9606. Or 800-666-3674 they are in Calif.
Hope this helps.
RobertB
Buggy Nut

Re: Exhaust gaskets

Postby will » 27 Wed Feb, 2013 8:07 am

I got a chance to run over to Dale's Imports in Corpus Christi yesterday. Took one of the short pipes with the flange, although he didn't even need to look at it. Set of 4 exhaust gaskets and the 2 heat riser gaskets for $2.50. He has such a wealth of knowledge about VWs. Said he has been working on them over 40 years. He's got a 3 ring binder full of pictures of buggies he built.

Thanks for your input. I'm learning!
will
Buggy Builder

Return to Technical Talk