Bowden Tube Repair

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Bowden Tube Repair

Postby johber41 » 17 Sat Nov, 2012 4:11 pm

Thought you guys might get a kick out of my Bowden Tube repair. I have a 1st gear problem (that I saw another member dealing with in an earlier posting) which includes my shifter popping out of gear unless I hold it in place. It did not cure my 1st gear problem and the shifter still pops out. My tube was bad and in the past and I had splinted it to a piece of concrete rebar to keep it steady, not understanding that the tube needs to flex during clutch pull. The old tube actually has a weakness in the center. My clutch feels weird now with the new tube in place but I guess I will get used to that. I have added some pics that show the change. I must have an internal issue with the syncros in the trans that is creating the 1st gear problem. Although I really do not need to start in 1st, (my buddy calls the gear "Below") I would like to have the thing right. I have played with the shifter but no progress there. At least I have a new Bowden tube!
Attachments
New Tube Installation 1.JPG
New Tube Installation 1.JPG (31.63 KiB) Viewed 6579 times
Tube Supported by Rebar 1.JPG
Tube Supported by Rebar 1.JPG (33.51 KiB) Viewed 6579 times
Bowden Tube Break 1.JPG
Bowden Tube Break 1.JPG (36.8 KiB) Viewed 6579 times
johber41
Buggyholic

Re: Bowden Tube Repair

Postby CoryN » 17 Sat Nov, 2012 7:14 pm

I assume you tried adjusting the shifter, it will slide front back side to side some for tweaking. Might look at the coupler too At least it's first, I never take my hand of the shifter in first so I wouldn't even notice. I had a bad fourth gear that would pop out.
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby johber41 » 18 Sun Nov, 2012 12:10 am

Thanks for the response Cory. I did play with the shifter. I have a Hurst shifter and the mounting holes do give room to move it back and forth. None of the helps the problem though. I tried working with the coupler and actually machined two home-made couplers to get different lengths, and nothing helped. I am now using an after-market coupler. I spoke to a local Beetle guy and he tells me that it might not even be the 1st gear syncro and might just be the facing of the gear worn to a degree that the trans slips from gear. Either way, its probably an internal issue. On the bright side though, the Beetle guy told me that it will not deteriorate to a worse condition. He believes that someone in the past was probably grinding away with the shifter. I really thought that with the pan being cut down and all the internal cables and the shifter rod being altered to go along with the short-pan build, that maybe they cut something too short or left something too long. Its a learning experience!
Attachments
Home-made Couplers.JPG
Home-made Couplers.JPG (26.26 KiB) Viewed 6566 times
After-market Coupler.JPG
After-market Coupler.JPG (37.04 KiB) Viewed 6566 times
johber41
Buggyholic

Postby staggerwing » 03 Wed Sep, 2014 8:23 am

Just a heads up.. My brother in law Dan has (HAD) that urethane coupler on his buggy until it split in half as he was headed down our driveway one day. You might want to change that thing ASAP cause the material that holds the thing together is SUPER thin and may not last very long. He found a nice replacement at Buggywarehouse in San Antonio and it was pretty darn inexpensive too! If you're driving along and your shifter goes limp, it's probably that coupler.

Love the rebar by the way! Good job!
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby johber41 » 03 Wed Sep, 2014 11:37 pm

Thanks for the heads-up Richard....I made my own steering dampner from a old leather weight lifting belt because I saw in one of the old club threads that someone else lost there steering because of a steering coupler made from that red rubber.

The re-bar was great until someone that knows much more than I do (easy to find) explained that the Bowden tube needed to flex a bit to accomplish its purpose....go figure!
johber41
Buggyholic

Postby Bobsbuggy » 04 Thu Sep, 2014 10:27 am

I had a problem with my Bowden tube just before the cruise started in Burnet a couple of years ago. The tube really shattered and needed to be replaced. The solution I finally went with was a hydraulic clutch. I really like the results.
Bobsbuggy
Buggy Nut

Postby Ken » 04 Thu Sep, 2014 11:44 am

Bobsbuggy wrote:I had a problem with my Bowden tube just before the cruise started in Burnet a couple of years ago. The tube really shattered and needed to be replaced. The solution I finally went with was a hydraulic clutch. I really like the results.

2X
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Bryan Porter » 04 Thu Sep, 2014 12:54 pm

Put solid trans mounts in and throw the tube away.
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby staggerwing » 04 Thu Sep, 2014 12:56 pm

Or, replace the tube every 53 years?
Hey Bryan, did you get a PM from me yesterday?
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby staggerwing » 05 Fri Sep, 2014 5:44 pm

Hey John:

I know it's only Friday evening, but we're sittin on pins and needles over here! Can't wait to here some good news about your buggy... I'd be out there working on mine but those two tequila shots and that dang glass of wine... maybe tomorrow. Dangit! Did somebody move the "Submit" button? Nevermind, there it is...
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby johber41 » 06 Sat Sep, 2014 4:55 am

Hey Richard, funny you should mention that you would be working on your buggy already......its been non-stop for me in between late work hours and the bride wanting some attention, I have already switched out the fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel filter, the fuel itself. I have already removed the carb and gave it a good cleaning and re-installed it. I have ordered a new distributor cap (early model large cap) and I am going to inspect the valves in the morning. Its still running poorly and I have put new premium fuel in the tank and added some Berryman B12 Chemtool to the mix.......I have been busy with it and it is causing me to need a drink.
johber41
Buggyholic

Postby Bryan Porter » 06 Sat Sep, 2014 7:59 am

I would go back to the carb again.
The drinking is the perk that makes working on buggies so fun.
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby boltman » 06 Sat Sep, 2014 3:38 pm

Hey John:

No one has mentioned the screen in the fuel tank have they? Mine was almost completely stopped up when I first got my car. I pulled the tank sprayed 2 cans of outboard engine tuner in it along with a 3' piece of 3/16" chain. Left it in for 2 weeks and every time I walked by gave it a good shaking and of course replaced the tank filter. Just my 0.02 worth.
boltman
Buggy Nut

Postby Bill K » 06 Sat Sep, 2014 7:40 pm

John, check your email
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby johber41 » 06 Sat Sep, 2014 11:49 pm

Thanks guys.....I think you are right Bryan....i am soaking the bottom of the carb in Berryman B12 tonight....I have blown it out twice and for about ten minutes today, it acted normal. I will have to take a pic of what I took out of my fuel tank. I think some of it was water leaking in from the trip up to Boerne.

Thanks for the tip on the tank screen Boltman....I replaced mine a few years ago and they are now some type of nylon. They used to be steel,or at least the one I took out of there in 2009 was. The flow from the tank is strong....it has to be stuff in the carb. Checked the valves,oil and other stuff...everything good.
johber41
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk