Rear Torsion Bar Adjusment

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Rear Torsion Bar Adjusment

Postby David Head » 04 Sat Mar, 2006 6:27 pm

I need to adjust the rear end torsion bar. I have had them out when I first built the buggy, But all I did than was to mark their orginal location and put them back exactly like they were before I removed them. I feel that the rear tires "toe out" too much. Especially when there are people riding in the back seat. Question #1---Will adjusting the torsion bar bring the bottom of the tires in with a pre-load look? Question #2---If I do this, will it make for a stiffer ride? I have an IRS rear end. David
:?
Maroon Manx

(o\_!_/o)
David Head
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 05 Sun Mar, 2006 3:41 pm

What you are wanting to do will not stiffen the ride, but if the bottom of the tires stick out, adjusting the torsion bars will not fix the problem, it may be that the arms are bent due to the fact that the IRS rear end does not have a lot of stifness in the arms, and wide tires tend to apply more torsional load on the arms than they were designed for. They can be re-bent at an alignment shops to get the tires to set straight.
I hope this helps.
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby blackthree4me » 06 Mon Mar, 2006 10:53 am

apples to apples here
toe in toe out refers to the front or rear of the tire not in parralel with each other that can be set by loosining the nuts at the trailing arm and adjusting forward or backwards to achieve the same measurement from the front and rear of the sets of wheels in question
what I belive you are asking is about camber of the rear wheels
if the top leans in its negative camber if it leans out its positive camber
on an IRS set up the camber is pre set at the factory
like david said thats a bending oporation by a pro
on a swing axil it can be adjusted by the torsion bar
pre load = positive camber
softening it up = negative camber
hope this helps
blackthree4me
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Postby Aquabuggy » 06 Mon Mar, 2006 5:43 pm

I have the same problem (rear tires leaning in at the top). I tried preloading the torsion bars and the tires did stand up strait. It also raised the rear of the buggy so I ended up lowering it back down.

I guess its a personal preference tires lean in or rear of buggy sitting up high.

Easy way to tell place a jack in the center rear of the buggy jack up slowly & see if the tires stand up.
Aquabuggy
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk