When to replace tires?

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

When to replace tires?

Postby GregR » 04 Mon Jun, 2012 9:56 am

So after having 2 blow outs within 20 miles on the way to the Classic in April, it got me thinking.
How are the buggy's tires? They look fine, good tread, no particular discoloring, not a lot of miles and are kept in the garage.

Places like Discount Tire, will not mount a tire that is over 10 years old and hesitate to mount tires over 6 years old for safety reasons.
The Radial T/A's on my buggy are 11 years old. Now they held up fine for the 80 mile or so run on Sunday at the Buggy Blast.

But really the question is, when should tires be replaced even if they don't appear to be worn out or dry rotted?

I know Cory ran some OLD bias tires...without valve stems!... for a while without issue.

What are ya'lls thoughts?
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Re: When to replace tires?

Postby Bryan Porter » 04 Mon Jun, 2012 10:18 am

My rears are 14 years old and going strong.
Low air pressure and keep out of the sun help a lot.
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 05 Tue Jun, 2012 1:13 pm

I expected this topic to really get some opinions ... so hears my 0.02...

Considering the mileage, out of weather storage, keeping them clean and conditioned with protestant, easy driving habits, unless I could see obvious signs of age in the tires, like beyond normal surface cracking or tread cracking or damage caused by severely dried rubber, I would not replace them JUST because of age.

If you were planning a super long cruise or planned to tackle rougher than normal roads, I might lean more towards replacing them. But I think the way we drive and the roads we drive on make it hard to justify, JUST because of their age.

But with that said, if you don't feel comfortable in your car, change them!
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Russhebert » 06 Wed Jun, 2012 7:36 pm

I know that a friend of mine was in a car accident in his classic. Car rolled because something ran in front of him. When the insurance company got involved they found out his tires had expired and they would cover the damage to his car. They said tires are only good for 7 years.
Russhebert
Buggy Nut

Postby Ken » 07 Thu Jun, 2012 2:12 pm

Good point. That is a perspective I did not consider.
Ken
Site Admin

Return to Technical Talk