To Trailer or To Tow

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

To Trailer or To Tow

Postby RobertB » 16 Wed May, 2012 9:01 pm

OK, I'm looking for a way to get my buggy to rallys and events. So how do most of you get your buggies around, trailer or tow bar?
I like the sound of a tow bar, it's simple, and doesn't need to be titled and have license plates on it, but was wondering if it is a safe and acceptable way to go. What's the pro's and con's on each.

thanks, Robert
RobertB
Buggy Nut

Re: To Trailer or To Tow

Postby Bill K » 17 Thu May, 2012 8:47 am

I trailer mine in a covered trailer. I started with an open trailer and after a few stormy trips I decided for peace of mind I needed my Buggy covered.

I've tow bared before with other Buggies and it works fine, but you have to accept your Buggy being exposed to whatever weather may come your way.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Re: To Trailer or To Tow

Postby Ken » 21 Mon May, 2012 1:22 pm

Your going to find a variety of solutions used here. Usually it will depend on other variable, like weather and distance, which might also depend on each individuals needs and comfort levels. Not to mention confidence in a buggy's reliability at any particular time. Although there are some, like Georganne (ET Manx) and Joe and Missy (Joe), who will drive hundreds of miles, in most any weather and not complain a bit!

For me, if she is running well, the weather is favorable, I would rather drive and keep my weekend as simple as possible.
Although, I do have a small buggy trailer (not covered) and I am working on getting and modifying a tow bar for my rail.
My future plans, include a covered trailer, that can double as storage for her at the house. And get some garage space back.

I think a tow bar will be a good piece to have around our group gatherings, but also for our family ride to Port A, where the wife trail behind in the truck, with the rest of the beach supplies.
Ken
Site Admin

Return to Technical Talk