Carb Question

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Carb Question

Postby starrfisherman » 19 Thu Apr, 2012 12:11 pm

Just rebuilt my 1600cc engine. New stock carb and Pertronix dist. Runs great, except after engine is warmed up, it stumbles when I start from a dead stop. Have to pump the throttle get it going. After I get moving, it runs fine. I guess I wonder how to adjust the screws on the carb. If I play with them, will it cure this problem. Looking forward to bring the new re-built to the rally in Burnet in May. I have made my reservations for the weekend. I plan on driving the bug alll the way up from Columbus.
Herb Fish
starrfisherman
Buggy Driver

Re: Carb Question

Postby Bill K » 20 Fri Apr, 2012 7:38 am

Hey Herb: Great to hear from you and the fact you are coming to Burnet. It'll be great to see you again.

What kind of carb are you running. Is you distributor a vacumn advance or 009? I have had the best luck running a Pic 30-31 with my 009 distributor. I had constant problems trying to make my car run right with the Pic 34.

Oh, and we need to see the mandatory pictures of the buggy. ;-) ;-)
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby starrfisherman » 20 Fri Apr, 2012 10:55 am

Bill,
I have a Pic 34 carburator. The dist is 009 mechanical advance. Is the Pic34 too big for the stock 1600 engine?
I have a real slow dial up and having trouble posting pictures, but will keep trying.
Herb
starrfisherman
Buggy Driver

Postby Bill K » 20 Fri Apr, 2012 11:35 am

The 34 is actually supposed to be the carb for a 1600. But I was told they don't perform well with a 009. I know from experience that my 34/009 combo did not work well for me.

Downsizing to the 30/31 carb solved my problem with the 009 distributor.

Perhaps some of those more knowledge can offer their two cents worth on the subject.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 20 Fri Apr, 2012 4:01 pm

The 34p3 with an 009 are very well known to create flat spots. Mostly at the front end of acceleration. As you describe.
I ran a 34p3 with an 009 for a couple years and could never get the flat spot adjusted out, although many say you can.
I wound up going to a vacuum advance distributor with the 34p3 and that greatly improved the its performance.

Here is an example of an article explaining some adjustment technique. Tuning the 009 Distributor/34 PICT Carburetor Combination

I also recall, with the 34p3, having an issue that when the carburetor was warmed up, the fuel shut off valve (solenoid attached to the side of the carb) would stick and the engine would not start, after shut down. Once it cool down everything was irie again. Until I ran it for a bit and I shut it down.

I now run a 2 barrel progressive and have went back to the 009 and never looked back at that 34p3.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby starrfisherman » 23 Mon Apr, 2012 11:45 am

Thanks for the information. I guess I should have asked some of these questions before I spent the big $ for new stuff. I will keep working on the problem.
Still can not get this old slow computer to load my pictures.
Herb
starrfisherman
Buggy Driver

Postby Ken » 25 Wed Apr, 2012 8:56 am

That is a very popular carb and many are running it without complaint, so keep playing with it and I'm sure you'll get it where you need it to be.

Have you read this help thread on posting pictures? Posting Pictures
If you still have issue, let us know and we'll figure out how to help you get some up.

Ken
Ken
Site Admin

Postby starrfisherman » 26 Thu Apr, 2012 10:56 am

Where do I get the main jets?
I tried all of my local Auto parts stores with no luck.
The problem with posting pictures are with my computer and not the problem of knowing how. Will get my son-in-law to work on my computer.
Herb
starrfisherman
Buggy Driver

Postby CoryN » 26 Thu Apr, 2012 1:09 pm

I've been tweaking my mains, and have been ordering them from CB Performance. But I'm sure there are a number of places online that carry them.
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby starrfisherman » 10 Thu May, 2012 1:59 pm

Thanks for the info. I orderd the jets from CB and installed them. I installed a 135 main and a 70 pilot. Advanced the timing a little and it took care of the problem.
When i doubt, ask questions, some one will be able to help you.
Herb
starrfisherman
Buggy Driver

Return to Technical Talk