Brake System Locking Up

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Brake System Locking Up

Postby Ken » 02 Mon Apr, 2012 10:27 am

I drove into town Saturday, 50-55 for a bout 15 minutes and coming up to my first turn, the brake pedal was rock hard.
As I started slowing down I could feel the significant drag of the brakes. They weren't locked up completely but there was a lot of drag.
Called the wife, got the trailer and got it home...

Couple hours later, I unloaded her and brakes are working.
So I am thinking I had the rear brakes (stock drum) adjusted too tight and when things heated up they just got tighter.
But, even if this is so, why all the sudden? So I pulled the rear wheels off and started looking real close.

The only questionable thing I found, was a broken end of the adjuster spring clip.
I'm thinking, this is allowing the brake to loosen or tighten from vibration?
It looks like these just slide on, after removing one of the star adjusters.
Does anyone know for sure how this is installed/removed?
Anyone got one laying around, they would be willing to drop in an envelop and send me?

Any suggestions? Does this sound like anything anyone else has experienced and worked out?
I've got a disc kit to replace the rear drums, but I'm hoping for a quicker, simpler solution, so we can make the Classic.

Ken
Site Admin

Re: Brake System Locking Up

Postby Bill K » 02 Mon Apr, 2012 9:56 pm

I just redid my brakes and but still need to bleed them. I hope I don't have the same problem since two of my clips were broken off. So I didn't try to replace them since they looked to be a part of the backing plate. I figure the spring tension on the shoes would keep the adjusters in place. It didn't look like they just slip in or maybe I just looked wrong. If there is an easy way to replace them, then I'll sure do it.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 02 Mon Apr, 2012 11:26 pm

I have the full set of Drum brakes sitting on the side of my house. If you post up a good pick of the part you need I will be happy to drop on in the mail for you. That goes for anyone in the club.
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 03 Tue Apr, 2012 11:57 am

Hi Faron. The clip I am speaking of is mounted under the adjuster block. The clip is intended to hold the start adjuster in place. It is the outlined part in this image. Blue is the broken side.

After more inspection though, I'm doubting my problem is related to this broken clip. For some reason, my brake shoe is dropping into the backing plate groove and hanging up. See how the cylinder piston is twisted. I can take a tool and lift the shoe out of the groove and everything pops back into place. This has happened twice now.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Faron » 03 Tue Apr, 2012 12:05 pm

Yea I think I have a couple of them, PM me your address and I will send um out.
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 03 Tue Apr, 2012 12:13 pm

Ken, are you needing the clips just for the back? If so, I'd like to see if I could get the front ones from Faron. If you need both back and front then that's just fine.
Faron: If Ken only needs the rear, can I get the fronts from you?
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 03 Tue Apr, 2012 12:24 pm

Thanks Faron. You rock!

I only need one (for the back, if they're different).

I have a rear disc kit still in the box. If I can't find and quickly resolve my problem, I'll just install that. I was hoping to save that for a new project, but I really hate spending too much time or any money on a 40 year old brake system.

Unfortunately, that would likely mean canceling the Classic for us. I don't see how I could get it installed in time.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby GregR » 03 Tue Apr, 2012 12:43 pm

even if your buggy is down, doesn't mean you can't come to F'Burg....might be relaxing....
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby CoryN » 03 Tue Apr, 2012 1:15 pm

aren't those clips welded on? I don't see how you could swap them out. I have one broken one also, but it never caused any problems.
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 03 Tue Apr, 2012 2:41 pm

I did some checking and yes, they are a part of the backing plate. I'm glad to hear you had no problems without them, Cory.
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Texasbuggys » 06 Fri Apr, 2012 8:57 pm

Yeah need the backing plate with block
Get your new short or long body, custom chassis, show cages, bumpers and accessories at http://www.texasbuggys.com

E-Mail Texasbuggys@suddenlink.net or call 361-218-6272
Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk