Pops outta 1st Gear

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Pops outta 1st Gear

Postby Faron » 22 Thu Sep, 2011 11:14 pm

It is fall here in Albuquerque, and Dune Buggy season will soon come to a close. I do want to fix a couple things in order to drive it the few weeks I have before it gets to cold.
When I start off in 1st gear if I take off to fast the buggy jumps around and will pop out of gear. My buddy suggested that the sincros are screwed up and need replaced. He is not really a VW guy so I am not sure what to think. I may start looking for a new Transaxle all together because this one feels stock. I want to be able to drive at freeway speeds if at all possible. My brother lives in a small town about 45 minutes from my house, and I would like to take my Buggy to see him.
My buggy is on a 74 pan and has drum breaks all the way around. I am thinking that I would prefer disk all the way around but fear that it is way to much for such a light weight car.
I don't have a Oil cooler or a decent oil filter, but would like to have one. Where do most people put the cooler for best cooling?
I understand that these are pretty easy stuff to some of you, and I appreciate your advice.
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Re: Pops outta 1st Gear

Postby GregR » 23 Fri Sep, 2011 6:30 am

Disc brakes-yup, too much for a little car but so what? I have them all the way around and love them.

Transmission. A couple of thoughts. When you say it shakes around starting off, it could be the bowden tube (clutch tube by the tans needs @1/2" of bow to it.)
It could be a bad trans or motor mount.
It could also be the shift rod bushing in the tunnel. It's a little nylon bushing inside the shifter mounting hole and just slightly to the rear. If worn, it can cause issues. Not hard to replace, but you may utter words that aren't part of your normal public vocabulary.
Lastly, it could be be that your shifter is just out of adjustment (looks like some one used a bus shifter from the pics.) A starting point is all the way forward and left.
A stock tranny should take you on the highway just fine. It won't hold up to those "dump the clutch to see if I can do a wheelie starts" for very long though.
My engine has been "full flowed" and the added cooler is mounted under the rear seat area (has an electric fan.)
You likely don't need an additional cooler unless you have a big engine.

Hope that helps.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby CoryN » 23 Fri Sep, 2011 7:32 am

Greg pretty much hit the mark on all of it.

I wouldn't worry about the stock transmission until you put a big motor on it. In fact I'm still running a stock trans with my big motor.

Likely just some fine tuning in order
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 23 Fri Sep, 2011 9:47 am

GregR wrote:Disc brakes-yup, too much for a little car but so what? I have them all the way around and love them.

Transmission. A couple of thoughts. When you say it shakes around starting off, it could be the bowden tube (clutch tube by the tans needs @1/2" of bow to it.)
It could be a bad trans or motor mount.
It could also be the shift rod bushing in the tunnel. It's a little nylon bushing inside the shifter mounting hole and just slightly to the rear. If worn, it can cause issues. Not hard to replace, but you may utter words that aren't part of your normal public vocabulary.
Lastly, it could be be that your shifter is just out of adjustment (looks like some one used a bus shifter from the pics.) A starting point is all the way forward and left.
A stock tranny should take you on the highway just fine. It won't hold up to those "dump the clutch to see if I can do a wheelie starts" for very long though.
My engine has been "full flowed" and the added cooler is mounted under the rear seat area (has an electric fan.)
You likely don't need an additional cooler unless you have a big engine.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, you are a welth of knowledge and it is nice that you are willing to share. Again Thank You!
I will look up what a correct Bowden Tube looks like and then see if it looks like a change needs to be made.
The PO said that the shift bushing need to be replaced so I had plans to change this out either way.
Ohh the Shifters days were numbered either way. Not only is it Butt Ugly, it hits the seat when I put the car in reverse.
I guess I will rethink the additional cooler. Hummm
As for the full disk brakes, they are really cool as you said. That may be a project for over the winter. I will have the body off in order to paint it anyway, and then it could force me to put some nicer looking wheels on it. LOL! Centerline with holes, would be the way I go! We will see what happens from here!

Once again Thank You to Greg and Cory.
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 23 Fri Sep, 2011 10:23 am

If you plan on Centerlines, I think I would stay with the drums. You can still get them in VW pattern and the drums look good with Centerlines.

Plenty of braking power with drums for a buggy.
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 23 Fri Sep, 2011 5:04 pm

Maybe this will help when you change out the shift rod bushing.

http://www.texasmanxclub.com/bboard/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=917&hilit=shift+rod+bushing
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Faron » 03 Mon Oct, 2011 11:26 pm

I started working on the Shift linkage, and I am looking forward to being finished. I am having a hard time getting it out the front of the Tunnel, and had to stop for the evening because it was dark and started to sprinkle. Will start to work on in again tomorrow!
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 04 Tue Oct, 2011 6:18 am

you don't have to take the shift rod all the way out the front of the tunnel. Just far enough forward to be ablke to slip the nylon bushing onto the shift rod through the shifter mounting hole. Then slide it back through to the rear.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Faron » 04 Tue Oct, 2011 9:54 am

Ugghhhh Now I read this, will I be able to see where it needs to go?
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 04 Tue Oct, 2011 5:35 pm

yes.
Make a cradle out of a coat hanger or something similar. Loop it under the shift rod at the shifter mounting hole.
Tie some sort of line, speaker wire or similar through the hole in the rear of the shift rod itself (you;'ll use this to pull it back through the hanger.

Now inch the shift rod forward using fingers, pliers, whatever until you see the end of the shift rod in the shifter mount location on top of the tunnel.

Place the new nylon bushing (it's split) over the shift rod...it's debatable whether you really need the retaining ring or not.

Now line things up and using the speaker wire, pull it back through the hanger and you're done. Oh grease it up good too....
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Faron » 04 Tue Oct, 2011 10:41 pm

Ummmm I already pulled it all the way up to the front and had to quit because it was dark and starting to rain. Now that I have pulled it all the way forward, what is your advice?
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 05 Wed Oct, 2011 8:30 am

Good luck...... Nah, I've heard that some duct tape a broom stick or something to the shift rod so so it's a bit longer and can be handled better. Then cut the tape off once its started into the hanger.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Jack Duncan » 05 Wed Oct, 2011 10:34 pm

The problem for me is not the nylon bushing, but the coupling connection at the back. Just not enough room in that little hole for my big hands. :lol:
White Bandit
Jack Duncan
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 05 Wed Oct, 2011 10:43 pm

Is this what you are talking about?
Attachments
securedownload.jpg
securedownload.jpg (186.5 KiB) Viewed 9548 times
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 06 Thu Oct, 2011 6:18 am

Thats what I was talking about....and it's only one of several possibilities.
It's an easy and cheap fix that usually gets overlooked. Hopefully it'll solve or at least improve your problem.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Bryan Porter » 06 Thu Oct, 2011 8:37 am

What did the one you took out look like?
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 13 Thu Oct, 2011 11:05 pm

It did not have one Brian, hence the question.

I had a really hard time finding Insurance. But we are sending in the paperwork and a check for a years worth of premiums to Grundy Worldwide tomorrow! Then I can get the Title put into my name, a up to date license plate, etc, etc....
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Jack Duncan » 14 Fri Oct, 2011 10:14 am

Good company, I've been using them for years. They'll insure almost any kind of special interest vehicle. :)
White Bandit
Jack Duncan
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 23 Sun Oct, 2011 12:54 am

Okay, I may sound a little goofy but this does not make sence to me. The end of the Shift linkage (or whatever you call it) does not have a hole for the bolt to go through. My Buggy is a 1974, did I get the wrong part? Sorry if this is a stupid question. No directions came with the part, please help. Yes I have done a search here, on the Samba, as well as Google. HELP!
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 23 Sun Oct, 2011 7:27 am

How was the old one hooked up? If you have it I would suggest keeping the screw part as the new ones are pshaw!
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 23 Sun Oct, 2011 7:54 am

There is an older round coupler that if I recall only uses a set screw
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 23 Sun Oct, 2011 8:09 am

Are you sure you have a '74? That looks more like a shift rod from a '64 or earlier.
Search "Type 1 early shift rod coupler" I think you may need one like this

Do you have a swing axle or IRS transmission?
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Faron » 23 Sun Oct, 2011 9:23 am

BrianB wrote:How was the old one hooked up? If you have it I would suggest keeping the screw part as the new ones are pshaw!

The old one was totaly different, that is why I am asking the question. I think you are correct I will put the new one back in.

GregR wrote:Are you sure you have a '74? That looks more like a shift rod from a '64 or earlier.
Search "Type 1 early shift rod coupler" I think you may need one like this

Do you have a swing axle or IRS transmission?

That is the shift coupler that I have so I will just put the old one back in.
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 23 Sun Oct, 2011 2:40 pm

I was talking about the square one. Go ahead and get a new one of those round ones. I think the round(early style) is OK.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk