Weekend Warriors

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Weekend Warriors

Postby carlos del carpio » 19 Sun Feb, 2006 3:27 pm

Hm...I've had thoughts about this for a while...tell me what you think...

Texas Club Members have always been helping each other out,but via text or photo.. I was thinking that sometimes, possibly a few times a year, we all gather at someone's place, probably someone who is having problems with a build...we all gather there, have a quick rest and possibly a quick bite to eat, then we ALL attack his project.. can you imagine all the experience involved with the build?

We can make "Monster Garage" look like a bunch of amateurs...

I can imagine the builder's look on his face, when he sees all these people walking up ready to tackle a build..we can make one experienced day's work equal to weeks! The buggy would be on the road quicker, safer, and yeah, the Texas way!

Of course, details would need to be done first..what needs to be done (for instance, for a pan build, all the nuts and bolts, parts, etc... would need to be in stock at the house prior to arrival, etc..)

Of course, with the Texas span, it would be quite a drive, but I think, worth it...

Even the suppliers can get in on it! "ok, we need to build a pan.. I can (before the build) supply you with the brake lines, bearings, bushings, etc.." They pay prior to build, and you would drive it there, and help install!

Your thoughts??
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 19 Sun Feb, 2006 5:19 pm

This is an idea that is good, but with guys having children and the length of the drive involved....it would take almost a legal contract to get someone to keep the their part of the bargin, after they got their project done.
I have done this many times in the past, and have come to realize how fast you can be forgotten when you did your part, and they don't intend to do their part. Got an ex business partner to prove how bad that can work out.
But, if the others are game, I'll consider it!
I can wire a buggy in a single afternoon, if the car is wired like a volkswagen instead of a Ford tractor! LOL!
I can build a long block engine, when the parts are clean, in about three hours! And complete the engine in two more hours, if the parts fit....ie quality parts! LOL!
Setting rear suspention, about two hours,
Brake jobs, two hours!
I'm not trying to be the fly in the ointment, but there is also the possibility of the difference of opinion of what is the right thing to do also.
This can result in hours of discussion that result in people going home out of frustration.
If something won't work, then it won't work. The wrong idea about how to do something, mixed with a mind set of..."No, this is how I want it done!", can kill a whole day......been there and done that! This is especially true when it comes to wiring!
I will say, that your idea is good, and if it were entered into with the right attitude and conviction to see that the other guy got treated right.....I don't think that the concept could be beat with a stick!
I would jump in - full force!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby bobaganoosh » 21 Tue Feb, 2006 11:09 pm

david can I contact you when I'm ready to wire up my buggy. I can even bring it to you with lunch if your willing.

mike
It aint for show, but it sho will go.
bobaganoosh
Buggy Nut

Postby David O' » 21 Tue Feb, 2006 11:51 pm

Yes you can, I can even supply you with a completely new wiring loom, if you like. I just locked down that ability! Yes, air cooledparts now has replacement wiring looms for volkswagens, and I know how to get them to fit dune buggies! I only require that the number of guages be known and where they are in the dash, and the type and number of lights and switches you want to have.
They need to be already mounted, and we can get together before hand and discuss how YOU want the wires to run and where. If you have your own loom out of a beetle or bus, that is OK too!
Just talk and I will listen! We can get all of the details ready before you come! Engine doesn't have to be in the car, but the type and number of electrical items would need to be known! :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby bobaganoosh » 22 Wed Feb, 2006 5:48 pm

I already have a brand new harness and I have some creative ideas on switches but when I'm ready we'll discuss that.

mike
It aint for show, but it sho will go.
bobaganoosh
Buggy Nut

Postby David O' » 22 Wed Feb, 2006 10:08 pm

Way cool.......just let me know!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 23 Thu Feb, 2006 1:46 am

don't forget the relay's...you don't want the switch to carry the circuit's load!!!
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby blackthree4me » 23 Thu Feb, 2006 1:32 pm

ya know patrick and lori could use some help on the manxter
maybe we could make this the first build weekend
they are both such nice people who have done notthing but good things for the club
HMMMMM
blackthree4me
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk