floating my rail

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

floating my rail

Postby txdunebuggy101 » 17 Sun Jul, 2011 12:39 am

I'm am going to attempt floating my rail across the port of mansfield canal on south padre. I need to know how much water can my engine be in before it conks out? I am going to try to keep the water level below the top of the heads but what should i do to water tight my engine. I will be using about 6 plastic 50 gallon drums attached to a sub-frame that will be strapped to the rail. I am shooting for the water level to be the same as my floor. I know this sounds crazy but that's how i am.... 8-)
I will be attempting this for my birthday (9-11) . Every birthday i do something different. One year i climbed inside my machine at work and had my Uncle/boss spin me at 160 rpms in a 12¼ " spindle bore. It seemed like a 100 mph. .. my stomach was in knots for a couple days. Yes, i would do it again... ;-)
So how do i ensure my motor stays running? What do i need to do to seal it up? I will have 2 jet skis in on this attempt for safety reasons as well as a skiff. The canal is only about 100 yards wide and 18 feet deep. If this goes down, i will be videoing from land and from the rail. And putting this on youtube thanking everyone involved with the project.
I never knew I know so little till now...
JimmyP
txdunebuggy101
Buggy Builder

Re: floating my rail

Postby Jack Duncan » 17 Sun Jul, 2011 11:41 am

Back in the 50's there was a car by the name of "Karbo". It was amphibious and had a propeller on the back. Check it out. Good luck and wear a lifejacket. :)
White Bandit
Jack Duncan
Buggyholic

Postby vfr » 21 Thu Jul, 2011 8:43 am

good luck if you do this on an outgoing tide be sure to inform the coast guard, they can have a helicopter standing by to take you to Rusk. (mental hospital) i don't know why you would wear a life jacket, it's only 100 yards wide 18 feet deep. besides a captain always goes down with the ship. no really, good luck.
vfr
Buggy Builder

Postby Ken » 21 Thu Jul, 2011 8:55 am

Whats the big deal? Volkswagen even advertised the ability for the Beetle to be amphibious.

Vintage VW Commercial

I recall someone mounting a propeller to the crank pulley and driving across a lake, but I don't remember any other details.

Keep the camera rolling... Not sure the legalities, but a motorized craft in state water might require registration? Only if caught, or needing rescue I guess.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby buggieBob » 18 Thu Aug, 2011 12:50 pm

I will drive my buggy on the beach but not in the water. You will not be able to clean it with out tearing it apart and cleaning it peace by peace and I'm not shure that will work. sand will wash of the out side but water seep in the chasse and frount end and rust everthing.
My name is Bobby and I'm a buggy-aholic
buggieBob
Buggy Nut

Postby Faron » 18 Thu Aug, 2011 11:01 pm

I know others might of thought it, but I am going to ask. How old will you be, and are you still planning to do this?
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby txdunebuggy101 » 04 Sun Sep, 2011 10:51 pm

i will be 37 this year, i think... lol yes i still plan on doing this but now, not for my b~day. built a new porch, bought a truck... just barely got my rail running, still need tuning. have the barrels, but havent built the frame. parents are in the coast gaurd, so i have those bases covered...
I never knew I know so little till now...
JimmyP
txdunebuggy101
Buggy Builder

Return to Technical Talk