Daily Problem

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Daily Problem

Postby carlos del carpio » 08 Wed Feb, 2006 11:12 pm

Seems that every day I work on the thing, it's a problem. Here's the latest: :(

On the rear suspension, IRS type, are the inner and outer bearing spacers the same? The type with the beveled edge?

Also, on a more important note, is the rear spacer supposed to sit on the base of the stub axle, or is there supposed to be a small gap?

Thanks guys, I'm gonna search online, but I can't progress until I get this problem solved :cry:
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby blackthree4me » 09 Thu Feb, 2006 8:25 pm

I think I know what you talking about just did the ghia
the one with the bevel gose on the inside by the flange
the sub has a radius that the bevel fits over
the other bevel goes on the out side in front of the washer
the main pupose is so it will seal against the grease seal
make sure they dont have a grove in them from wear if so they will sling grease no mater how new the seal
my mechanic said he replaces seals all the time because that is what people want or think they need when in fact its the spacer thats worn
hope this helps
blackthree4me
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 09 Thu Feb, 2006 10:11 pm

The thin "spacer" as you call it is the inner seal ring and also the back up for the inner race of the inside bearing,......the spacer will have one side that is flat and the other side is rounded on the inside. The rounded side goes towards the flange side of the stub axle. There will be no gap when installed this way! This stops the stub axle from having a place to develop stress cracks and at the same time gives a solid seating surface for bearing placement.
The thicker one goes on the outside of the outer bearing, and then there is a longer piece which is the locator for the outer bearing inner race. This one is between the bearings!
The outer sealing ring has a flat side that is not tapered and the other side will have an out side taper for a short distance.......the taper goes towards the bearing!
In other words, from the inside out, it real thin,.... long tube, ....thin. I hope this helps.
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 09 Thu Feb, 2006 11:00 pm

thanks, that's what I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeded!!!
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk